Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Pros and cons for taking Utrogestan for 25/28  (Read 1080 times)

Stella2

Pros and cons for taking Utrogestan for 25/28
« on: April 23, 2023, 10:25:09 AM »

Hello ladies,
I wonder if you could share your experiences regarding this. I have been taking it continuously without a break but I note that some ladies have been prescribed for 25 days out of 28. Would this be a better option and does it cause bleeding?

Hurdity

Re: Pros and cons for taking Utrogestan for 25/28
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »

Hi stella2

It is licensed for use for 25 days out of 28 in case there has been a build up of womb lining - because sometimes there can be, so that it allows for a withdrawal bleed if the lining has thickened slightly. If you don't bleed on that regime then all is well. In practice most women on conti HRT are prescribed it continuously without a break.

Hurdity x

Stella2

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »

Thank you  for explaining this Hurdity.
Does it mean that, should there be a build up of womb lining and you were on conti, you would not have a withdrawal bleed? In that case, if you do not have regular scans, you would not know that there is a build up?
I had spotting few times recently, it seems to be linked with slight change of dose or patch brand, the lining was 3 mm. I am on conti but wonder if I should take a 3 day break x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 04:37:34 PM »

Stella2, from what I can gather from reading various posts on here over the years, the three day Utrogestan break seems to be a safety mechanism so that if, for example, you have taken more oestrogen than usual and/or not absorbed as much Utrogestan as usual causing a slight build up, you will bleed.

I once read somewhere (can't remember where) that the three day break acts as a reset for womb receptors.

So really it is just a precaution but what I don't understand is why only a three day break?   Is a three day break enough to provoke a bleed and would taking Utrogestan again after three days stop said bleed in its tracks?

I would say there is no harm in taking the three day break even if your scans are OK because it should stop the spotting.   

Stella2

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 05:32:58 PM »

Thank you Mary, I find it all a bit confusing, as you said, would 3 days be enough? My GP suggested to go for sequi in case my spotting doesn't stop. I assumed that, should the lining build up, bleeding would occur even when on continuous Utrogestan, maybe I am wrong.

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 08:10:29 PM »

Stella, in your situation, I think I would try having the three day break first.   I would imagine the thinking behind it is having a slight scheduled bleed as opposed to random spotting.   

I think some women have a very efficient womb that reacts quickly hence the very low womb lining measurement and occasional spotting.   In some ways it's a good thing because it means the progesterone is doing its job.

I would  only switch to a cycle if the three day break doesn't stop the spotting because a cyclical regime will mean heavier bleeds and more hormonal upheaval.

You certainly don't have anything to worry about with a low womb lining measurement like that!

Stella2

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 05:44:39 AM »

Thank you for taking time to explain this to me Mary. I feel much better now. Wishing you all the best.