Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT and vitamin supplements, which ones?  (Read 1171 times)

Leanne1111

• First Flush
HRT and vitamin supplements, which ones?
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:37:15 AM »

Hello everyone,  hoping to get some advice as I'm drowning in so many vitamin supplements.
I'm on utrogestan tablets and sandrena gel.
I'm suffering terrible bouts of constipation. I've done a huge amount of research into which supplements to take and I feel like I'm going round in circles. So I've tried Alive multi vitamins for over 50's, B12 ( for the fatigue) Magnesium citrate, psyllium Husk, friendly bacteria and colon cleanse nothing works. I've just read that I should take extra Iron, D3 and k2.......its driving me insane. Any advice please? Xxx

Kathleen

Re: HRT and vitamin supplements, which ones?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 11:57:46 AM »

Hello Leanne 1111 and welcome to the forum.

I have read that magnesium can be good for your bowels and I see that you are trying this along with other well known things like psyllium Husk etc.

A few years ago my friend experienced such extreme constipation that she saw a consultant gastroenterologist and was prescribed a medication usually given to patients before a colonoscopy. When she was  better she was told that she should add one tablespoon of ground flaxseed every day and this would prevent a recurrence. This also had the benefit of being a natural and gentle treatment with no side effects.

I realise that there are many products for constipation and I am sure other ladies will be along with remedies that have helped them.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

HelloSam666

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 12:54:55 PM »

I take magnesium citrate (Weightworld 2 x 200mg) each evening along with a large teaspoon of flaxseed each day. I found this helps enormously and have no issues. Are you taking enough of the magnesium?

Leanne1111

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 01:00:31 PM »

I'm on the highest potency of magnesium.  I've just ordered some flaxseed so hoping this helps thanks for advice x

Losingtheplot

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 02:26:32 PM »

Hello everyone,  hoping to get some advice as I'm drowning in so many vitamin supplements.
I'm on utrogestan tablets and sandrena gel.
I'm suffering terrible bouts of constipation. I've done a huge amount of research into which supplements to take and I feel like I'm going round in circles. So I've tried Alive multi vitamins for over 50's, B12 ( for the fatigue) Magnesium citrate, psyllium Husk, friendly bacteria and colon cleanse nothing works. I've just read that I should take extra Iron, D3 and k2.......its driving me insane. Any advice please? Xxx

Hi Hunni

I am sorry you are having bad side effects. I am also on this HRT and been getting bloating and cramp !

How is the HRT for you apart from these awful issues?

X

phebe22

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 02:57:23 PM »

Sorry to hear this..and constipation is horrid.  I watched a channel 4 programme called "Know your sh"t" on bowels and bowel problems.  Probably available on catch up.   It mentioned using chia seed porridge every morning.  I have done this, as has my partner altho he sprinkles a bit in his cereal and it's made a huge difference for me.  You can also get something called Laxido from your doctor's...it's a powder.
Obviously drink loads (not alcohol!) and eat fruit but you'll know that anyway!

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 05:54:23 PM »

If you add iron in, it'll likely make constipation worse.
I'd try the flaxseed but soak it first. I make overnight oats and put flaxseed and chia in at the same time to soak in the almond milk.
Plus take a supplement called Colex first thing in the morning with a large glass of water. That all helps me. My constipation was terrible this time last year.
Kiwis are also good.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 05:56:28 PM »

How is your water intake? I've found I need a lot more since starting hrt, particularly when taking the utrogestan.
Also a cup of coffee in the morning usually helps me on a bad day.

DottyD68

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 06:27:40 PM »

Hiya,

Just wrote a detailed post and then lost it all  ::)

So in a nutshell, make sure you're taking the right dosage of magnesium and not too much.

Also my husband suffers with constipation and now uses fibogel tablets. Seem to really help despite being expensive.

Leanne1111

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 09:45:48 AM »

Thanks so much for everyone's advice . I find my HRT is absolutely brilliant in all other ways , it's just the constipation.  I've started to try to drink around a liter of water a day.....which only helps a little!!! Ugh!!!! I just can't make it all make sense. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing . I'm going to try the flaxseed and reduce my magnesium to see if that works xxx

Leanne1111

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »

Sorry a liter and half of water.....its a struggle for me but do I even need to drink more? X

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 07:08:06 PM »

I don't know, but progrsterone always makes me pee more so I'd say I drink around two litres a day during the second half of the month. Central heating can also be quite dehydrating too. Doc told me low estrogen dries everything out which is why a lot of women get constipation in memopause.