Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help with returning symptoms please!  (Read 851 times)

Serendipitous

• First Flush
Help with returning symptoms please!
« on: April 18, 2023, 03:36:15 PM »

Hello I'm new here and would really appreciate your help as I'm struggling with symptoms.

I've recently received my Medichecks blood test results and to say I am alarmed about the Oestradiol result is an understatement. My oestradiol is LOWER than when I tested before starting HRT in September 2022! I did the blood tests just to see where I am.

20/09/2022 results

134 pmol/L Oestradiol

Last Tuesday's blood draw was at 9.15am and fasting. 100mg Utrogestan taken 12 hours before. Last application of Oestrogel 24 hours before.

Meds at time of test:

3 pumps of Oestrogel daily each morning. Started HRT 30/09/2022, initially started 2 pumps daily for about 4-5 month. Then transitioned to 3 pumps daily about 2-3 weeks ago due to increase in symptoms. Possibly coinciding with new style bottle of Besins Oestrogel.

100mg Utrogestan nightly each day

1 vagirux used locally twice a week

For reference, I am aged 45. Periods stopped September 2020, came back for 2-3 months in July 2021 and then MIA again then onwards. HRT started in October 2022.

11/4/2023 Results:

Female Hormones

Oestradiol 91 pmol/L

Ref Range:( Follicular 98 - 571 )
Ref Range:( Mid-cycle 177 - 1153)
Ref Range:( Luteal 122 - 1094)
Ref Range:( Post-meno < 183 )
Ranges:
( Follicular 98 - 571 )
( Luteal 122 - 1094 )
( Mid-cycle 177 - 1153 )
( Post-meno < 183 )

Progesterone 5.8 nmol/L

Ref Range:(Follicular 0.2 - 2.8 )
Ref Range:(Periovulatory 0.4 - 38.1)
Ref Range:(Luteal 5.8 - 75.9)
Ref Range:(Post-menopause 0.2 - 0.4)
For Day 21 Progesterone:
>30 nmol/L usually indicates ovulation
< 5 nmol/L indicates no ovulation has occurred

Prolactin 230 mIU/L (Range: 102 - 496)

Recently I have noticed that since the Oestrogel packaging was changed I started to feel a return of many of my symptoms, more brain fog and more recently INCREDIBLY disturbed sleep. Joint and muscle pain. Increased hair loss and very dry skin.

I know I left 24 hours before my last application, not sure if this is the correct way to test? But still my Oestradiol levels are much lower than before starting HRT and this can't be right? Is this correct way to assess oestradiol levels or should I have applied my normal dose and then gone for my blood draw an hour or two later? I suspected my results might not be good but I didn't expect this.

Somebody said I might need more Utrogestan now I am using 3 pumps of gel/3 sprays of Lenzetto?

I asked to switch to 3 sprays of Lenzetto a few days ago. I've been taking Lenzetto for two days now. Easier to apply but sleep is really bad. I'm waking up 2-3 times each night and in particular at 4AM and not able to get back to sleep. GP said she would the local menopause clinic at the hospital for advice and whether I should consider switching to oral oestrogen. I've not heard back yet.

PLEASE HELP!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help with returning symptoms please!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 03:50:57 PM »

At least your GP is aware of a menopause clinic!  If U haven't heard by Friday, I would ring to find out how the GP is getting on.

pepperminty

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 04:06:10 PM »

Hi,

don't use moisturiser before you put on any estrogen, make sure the area is not covered in  a layer of dry skin. Rotate the area regularly. Some people do not absorb well. Moisturisng shower gel can also cause issues. Oral estrogen is an option if you still do not absorb.

I hope you find a solution

PMxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 08:44:51 AM »

Hi serendipitous

:welcomemm:

When you say "Medichecks" blood test. I don't know what this is, but if its a home one then maybe not accurate if a finger****? Blood tests are not very accurate anyway but if you've had more than one then can be slightly more reliable. if you really want to know what your levels are then you need to have the doc do a proper one from a blood draw into a vial. Really you should be going by symptoms. A change in bottle is not going to cause any significant difference in blood levels!!! Manufacturers of everything from food to cleaning products, and including pharmaceuticals change packaging all the time!

What is MIA?

When was your last natural period ie before you took HRT? Maybe you are still peri-menopausal or at least your natural cycle  is present sometimes hence the variability in symptoms. However if you are really not absorbing then maybe a change in oestrogen would be better for you? Could be somethng to do with your skin as pepperminty said.

Did you have flushes and sweats before starting HRT and have these come back on HRT? Also if you are taking progesterone continuously this could partly be responsible for your ongoing symptoms especially sleep. Prog disturbs my sleep when I'm on that phase of the cycle.

Have you been to the doc to get checked out generally in case your symptoms have other causes? Vitamins, minerals (iron etc) thyroid function etc? Is your diet good etc?

Hope you manage to find an HRT regime that enables you to feel better! You are still young ....

Hurdity x

Serendipitous

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 02:52:25 PM »

At least your GP is aware of a menopause clinic!  If U haven't heard by Friday, I would ring to find out how the GP is getting on.

Yes I've just rung them and the GP will speak to me again today. She has received an update from the local hospital who have recommended testing and then to try oral oestrogen. I can see from the notes that  DEXA scan has been suggested too.

Serendipitous

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »

Hi,

don't use moisturiser before you put on any estrogen, make sure the area is not covered in  a layer of dry skin. Rotate the area regularly. Some people do not absorb well. Moisturisng shower gel can also cause issues. Oral estrogen is an option if you still do not absorb.

I hope you find a solution

PMxx

Thanks I definitely avoid that and I'm using soap to wash my arms. I'm now on Lenzetto and I suspect 3 sprays of that isn't doing much for me either. I'm due to speak to the GP again today. I think they will suggest oral oestrogen and a DEXA scan. I saw this on my online notes.

Serendipitous

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »

Hi serendipitous

:welcomemm:

When you say "Medichecks" blood test. I don't know what this is, but if its a home one then maybe not accurate if a finger****? Blood tests are not very accurate anyway but if you've had more than one then can be slightly more reliable. if you really want to know what your levels are then you need to have the doc do a proper one from a blood draw into a vial. Really you should be going by symptoms. A change in bottle is not going to cause any significant difference in blood levels!!! Manufacturers of everything from food to cleaning products, and including pharmaceuticals change packaging all the time!

What is MIA?

When was your last natural period ie before you took HRT? Maybe you are still peri-menopausal or at least your natural cycle  is present sometimes hence the variability in symptoms. However if you are really not absorbing then maybe a change in oestrogen would be better for you? Could be somethng to do with your skin as pepperminty said.

Did you have flushes and sweats before starting HRT and have these come back on HRT? Also if you are taking progesterone continuously this could partly be responsible for your ongoing symptoms especially sleep. Prog disturbs my sleep when I'm on that phase of the cycle.

Have you been to the doc to get checked out generally in case your symptoms have other causes? Vitamins, minerals (iron etc) thyroid function etc? Is your diet good etc?

Hope you manage to find an HRT regime that enables you to feel better! You are still young ....

Hurdity x

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Yes I had a private blood test through a well known company called Medichecks. Aside from thyroid I also had female hormones tested. Blood drawn at The Doctor's Laboratory (TDL) in Wimpole St. Are you aware if a test should be done before or after applying transdermal oestrogen?

By MIA, I meant missing in action, Sorry. Basically I've not had a period since September 2021. I did have mild hot flushes beforehand but sleeping at night has been a problem for me for a few years now due to feeling generally too hot, especially my feet and just not having good sleep anyway. Upon starting HRT my sleep improved massively but now I am finding it is interrupted and unrefreshing again. My thyroid isn't great but I think HRT is probably improving my blood results at least. Hair loss is really bad.

Thank you I have another call with the GP again today, they may offer oral oestrogen and a DEXA scan from what I've just seen on my patient record.