Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie - Advice needed  (Read 1305 times)

wendgirl70

• First Flush
Newbie - Advice needed
« on: April 20, 2023, 08:50:37 AM »

Hello,

Apologies for lengthy post!

I have been an avid reader of this sites for years but never had the confidence to post. I am currently on estrodot and mirena but in the last year since I had Covid I feel like the menopause has battered me. My main issues are with poor sleep, muscles aches and pains and low mood, lack of enjoyment in life etc. I have been on HRT since 2019 and had it increased last year however I am still below the recommended 50 patch as my sister had breast cancer 4 years ago (not genetic) and I am reluctant to increase it. However my quality of life is now being affected. Should I ask for a higher patch to ease my symptoms or should I look at natural remedies to help. I am now lost by the amount of herbal and alternative preparations there are available out there.  This is also having a huge impact on my health anxiety at the moment as I know many women suffer with. I would also like to swap my Mirena as it is over 4 years old now. When I had it in I was categorically told that 4 years is max when being used as HRT however low and behold since the pandemic that has now increased to 5 years but I have had increased spotting so I am unsure if there is enough progesterone getting into my body.

I feel I need to chat with other women outside of my personal circle. I have a GP appt next week and would like to go fully prepared.

Thanks

Wendy

Flossieteacake

Re: Newbie - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 08:55:48 AM »

Hello Wendy and welcome. You are brave to join after reading for so long. :)

Covid really seems to play havoc with meno symptoms. I am sorry you are dealing with this.

I do not know anything about taking HRT when cancer is in the family but I am sure others will know.

I think it would be helpful to replace the mirena as I imagine the progesterone will not be enough for you now.

Health anxiety is horrible but so common in meno so you will find many threads on here about it. Actually, you will know that as you read the forum. 🙂

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 05:51:06 PM »

Hi Wendy

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

Like you when I had Covid last summer my menopause symptoms reappeared with a vengeance even though I was on HRT.

I would suggest you try increasing your oestrogen to ease your symptoms. You may find gel easier to tweak than the patches but that's a personal preference. I increased to 4 pumps of gel at one point to ease symptoms but now down to 3. However as Flossieteacake said you need to take guidance from your GP first relating to the family cancer link.

Personally, anxiety and health anxiety have been my worst symptoms throughout my menopause journey. I had been fortunate never to have had anxiety prior to menopause and cant believe how much i have been affected by it. Increased oestrogen did help with this but I think its a fine balance as I had another bad bout of it earlier in the year and only managed to reduce the symptoms by lowering my dosage. It appears to be a bit of a moving target keeping the balance between oestrogen and progesterone dosages as your own levels fluctuate. If you think your health anxiety is hormone-related I would try and increase your dosage (if you can) to see if that helps before trying anxiety meds. A lot of ladies use both to help manage it but I would just try one thing at a time to see what is or isn't working for you.

The oestrogen definitely helped with awful muscle aches which were the main reason for me starting HRT.

I supplement HRT with Evening Primrose, sea buckthorn oil, magnesium, zinc and vitamins. I have no idea if they really help. I started taking them at the beginning of my menopause journey before cracking and going on HRT after 7 years. I think there is a thread on Alternative Therapies that may help in that respect.

Good luck with your appointment. Let us know how you get on.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 06:40:02 PM »

:welcomemm:  mayB increase the dose gradually, otherwise the body may feel over whelmed.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out, as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

It will depend on which type of cancer a family member has.  However, something else may well get us B4 HRT triggers cancer - how many women has this happened to anyway?

Let us know how you get on.

Emma74

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 01:19:55 PM »

A.Vogel on youtube do a lot of alternative therapies and the lady who does the videos is very lovely to listen to. I did about 100 videos of menopause barbie but got a little bored of the theatrics.  We just want short concise information and to know we are not alone or going mad! My biggest issue was fear of taking anything at all so I understand your hesitancy increasing your dose. I'm only nearing my first month with HRT so by no means an expert! I started on the 50 patch and can ay that I have had no side effects at all (lucky me).

I haven't noticed as many aches or twinges and am starting to see a little bit of enjoyment back in me, albeit slowly.