Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT affecting skin melanin?  (Read 1275 times)

Julia Dizzy

HRT affecting skin melanin?
« on: April 23, 2023, 01:15:42 PM »

Hi,
Has anyone else noticed that they have more age spots since being on HRT? I have been on it for 3 and a half years now. I know I'm 66 and therefore prone to age spots, but I have started to get more brown freckles and brown joined up patches, mainly on my arms and legs with the odd dark brown freckle randomly appearing in other places. I read somewhere HRT can affect melanin production?

I am a redhead with very fair skin. I get lots of freckles generally in the summer, but always try to use SPF and can't sit in the sun for too long anyway for the last 10 years or so (hate being too hot!!).

I am trying Eucerin dark spot treatment but am sceptical it will work! Anyone got any other advice? Thanks.

Dierdre

Re: HRT affecting skin melanin?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 01:28:45 PM »

I'm no longer on HRT just local estrogen but I did notice how easier I caught the sun when on HRT patches and had to use a higher SPF.

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »

Funnily enough, I have noticed a few more age spots, specifically on my hands and chest. It never dawned on me that it may be the HRT 🤔but I have noticed it in the last year (and I started HRT a year ago).
For me, I'm not bothered about them apart from ensuring I use a high SPF sun protection.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »

Yes, my face is covered with melasma.
I put it down to either the HRT or the mirena.
It is bloody awful and looks horrendous!  :-\

mandss

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 09:05:42 AM »

I have also noticed this, but mainly since my hysterectomy last year. I have them on my face, neck, chest, and back. My skin is also very dehydrated looking even though I have a good skin care regime. Not sure I like this ageing .....