Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coping without family  (Read 2096 times)

Flowergirlphilly

Coping without family
« on: April 19, 2023, 01:51:04 PM »

I was wondering how any of you managed to cope with menopause if you didn't have family to ask and compare their experiences.

My parents died in a car crash when I was 15 and my only other sibling who raised me afterwards -died a few years later.
No living grandparents nor aunts/uncles. So I became used to figuring out most things on my own these past 35 years.

But menopause is so personal and my friends aren’t at this point in their lives.

I guess this forum has been a big help for most of you?

Flossieteacake

Re: Coping without family
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »

I have no family and no real friends. I find the forum has helped me so much. I only have this lovely forum because I cannot talk to anybody else about this.

I can totally understand you feeling lost not having family to talk to.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »

I have no family and no real friends. I find the forum has helped me so much. I only have this lovely forum because I cannot talk to anybody else about this.

I’m so glad you have this place then Flossie. They certainly seem like a lovely bunch. ❤️

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 01:59:34 PM »

I’m so glad you have this place then Flossie. They certainly seem like a lovely bunch. ❤️

People on here are so lovely so please remember you will always have support and a place to ask anything. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 02:41:40 PM »

Good thread!

I knew I was entering The Change as my periods waxed and waned.

No longer discuss my medication issues with family.  I get the 'I've done that so can't remember'.

This is why in the modern age forums are helpful.  Years ago of course, issues weren't discussed.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 05:39:20 PM »

I find the forum so much better than f&f, there is so much more experience and knowledge here. Amongst a small circle of women you might talk to about it's much less likely you will find anyone in a similar situation to your own (and how annoying are the ones who sail through it symptom free and think you're a hypochondriac  >:().

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 05:41:36 PM »

Hi

I had to figure everything out for myself too. Mom died when I was 40, and I wasn't in meno then.
This forum was my life line. I've learnt everything from this.
X

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 05:54:47 PM »

Hello ladies.

I find that even if you have friends and family willing to listen to your meno woes their patience soon becomes exhausted lol.

This forum is excellent because everyone here is supportive and understanding about how difficult this time of life can be.

Take care ladies.

K.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 06:22:33 PM »

Yes it’s certainly been a comfort and a wealth of insight for me in just 2 days.

I hope once I get control of this new normal for me I can reciprocate the kindness.

Jillyboo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 06:25:01 PM »

I've found it's easier not to discuss meno matters with friends and family. In fact I don't tend to discuss any health topics with them. I do my own research, listen to my body, and endeavour to work out solutions for myself. Forums are invaluable for learning from others. Good luck on your meno journey.

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 05:05:17 PM »

:hug:

getting_old

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 05:16:13 PM »

My mother passed away before I entered meno, but not sure she'd have been interested or helpful if she'd been alive. I was an only child and we weren't close and she never talked about her experiences so quite honestly I was probably went through most of peri-menopause without actually realising what was going on.

I also don't really have close friends so this forum has been the main source of information and support.