Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Decisions …… increase or decrease need advice please  (Read 540 times)

Spiderley13

Decisions …… increase or decrease need advice please
« on: April 24, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »

Evening Ladies ,

Will be coming up to my second three monthly review shortly and really don’t know whether to increase or decrease patch strength !

Bit of history….. aged 44 had raised fsh and low oestrogen on tests, drs started HRT Oct 22 on Evorel conti ( was on Noriday for contraception ) , still getting hot flushes and anxiety so gP added in gel , had mirena fitted Feb and stopped Noriday so now on oestrogen only 75 patch’s …….

The trouble is although hot flushes / night sweats have improved I am still getting them but my main symptom is anxiety which I think if anything has got slightly worse …… looking back at my symptom diary this is always higher around ovulation and before periods ( well when I think they would be now due to mirena ) ……. I just don’t know whether to increase the patch to hopefully fully resolve flushes etc caused by oestrogen dips but fear this may make anxiety worse ?? Could it be that some times it’s too much oestrogen and others too low ? I’m just really confused right now !
I know there is probably no straight forward answer but really value anybodies personal experience’s of a similar situation  ….. it’s such a minefield trying to navigate this peri journey and just don’t know which way to turn ! ( I’m also not very good talking on the phone trying to explain things during the review and forget loads of things I should have said ! )

Sorry for the ramble , thanks for any help you can give !!

SarahT

Re: Decisions …… increase or decrease need advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 07:14:30 PM »

Hi Spiderley,

Whilst I am not experienced enough in knowing if it's too much or  too little a dose, I am very much aware my anxiety and moods dip scarily bad when my period should be due like you I am on the mirena so don't bleed but still get pms \pmdd symptoms. These can get much worse during peri. I have just been advised to increase to 100,to try to trick my body into not ovulating  and so attempt to avoid the awful scary mood swings and anxiety I get prior to 'period'.

I would definitely mention your own anxiety seems to worsen like this on your review, especially as you are keeping a diary and note the anxiety is already that point in your cycle (even without a bleed )

I have also been advised I could take anti anxiety medication, on the days leading up to this time in my cycle,  as I don't want full time medication for my own self.

I would suggest you make some simple note, like pointers really, prior to you appt, so that you are able to cover all your questions or ask the Advice you need. It is so very easy to waffle  on ( as I can do!) and not cover you essential points.

Start with your worse symotom, which seems to be cyclical anxiety to ensure you cover this part thoroughly.

But don't forget any other question you have either.

Hope someone jumps in with some clearer advice to help you

I wish you well x

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »

Defo write down a bulleted list that you can read out and tick off when you've covered each point and got an answer. For my last face to face appointment I saved it all as a note on my phone and handed it to the GP to read, it certainly made the appointment quicker and more focused!

Spiderley13

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 08:38:45 PM »

Thanks Ladies really good advice there and I will definitely make some bullet point notes before appointment as it’s not easy when your already anxious anyway not to get anxious over the actual call as well , and then everything you thought you were going to say goes out the window !!!

I have always been a worrier but these last couple of years it has definitely escalated and I have always thought it was hormonal so have done a few private tests over the years , oestrogen was always low ish but still in range and only recently did FSF go higher which definitely coincided with my anxiety getting worse which is why I did a repeat test …… the bit that confuses me is that before I added the gel ( to get me upto 75 as conti only available in 50 ) I did another test to check I was absorbing the patch and my oestrogen level was higher (249) than my usual ‘normal - (if there’s such a thing as was on combined pill at the time ) which is why I’m doubting whether to increase , part of me thinks if my anxiety feels worse now levels are higher I should decrease …..I guess the only way to find out is to try but hate the thought of feeling worse than I already do !

Thanks Again really appreciate it x