Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 1099 times)

EmmaWil75

• First Flush
Vitamin D
« on: April 18, 2023, 04:52:35 PM »

Evening
I've been feeling wonky lately. Really tired, tingly fingers, feeling faint.
The doctor ordered some blood tests and it turns out my Vit D levels are "in my boots".  :o
Any other perimenopausal ladies had this problem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 05:29:22 PM »

Yep.

5 years ago I would do 20 mins weeding then sit without moving for 2 hours.  Mum was the same.  Both of us get plenty of sunshine - so we thought.  Both put onto 3,000 VitD supplements.

Recently my head felt as though I was needing more sleep so I began tablets again.

It is thought that everyone in the UK should take daily VitD from October until April.  What did the GP suggest?

EmmaWil75

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »

He's putting me on supplements.
I should add I'm also T2 diabetic and on statins.
He wants me to do a stool sample too just to make sure the Vit D problem isn't anything more sinister. I'm terrified

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 06:07:17 PM »

Yes I had this in November. My level was just 18. After ten weeks on a supplement I felt so much better. I didn't have tingly fingers though but muscle cramps, major fatigue, low mood, brittle and breaking hair plus digestive problems. I now have a daily supplement. The advice is that all of us In the UK should take a Vit D supplement from October to March due to our low levels of sunlight so I don't see why your GP would wonder why your levels are low but I expect they are just being cautious. Is your iron level ok?

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:17:37 PM »

Hello EmmaWil75 and welcome to the forum.

You are fortunate that your GP ordered a vitamin D test because although low levels are common most doctors have to be prompted into arranging one. Low vitamin D impacts so many systems of the body it could easily be responsible for your troubles.

I think your doctor is being very thorough and although it is worrying now you are clearly in good hands.

Hopefully your stool sample will be okay and all you would need to do is take supplements to improve your vitamin D levels.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

EmmaWil75

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 06:44:03 PM »

:-*
Thanks, ladies xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 06:51:37 PM »

When did you discover that you are diabetic?  Because statins can raise blood sugar levels!  I've had a discussion with the Nurse this evening ..........

EmmaWil75

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 09:25:46 PM »

I was diagnosed 10 years ago. The nurse started me on statins around 6 months ago as my cholesterol level had gone up

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 08:29:25 AM »

Have U managed to reverse the diabetes at all?  My friend in Brisbane found that her sugars were all over the place in the Summer with the heat and humidity!

My cholesterol was 7 for years until a new GP freaked out Big Time  >:(. Now it's 5.2. 

EmmaWil75

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 11:51:54 AM »

My diabetes level has gone up again! No one's mentioned it though

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 12:03:28 PM »

How often is your blood sugar level measured with a blood test or are U self monitoring? 

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 12:05:05 PM »

My Dr said every woman should take Vit D. Having been diagnosed with osteopenia lately, I wish I'd been told this sooner,so well done to your Dr

Claire MM

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 12:50:37 PM »

It is not surprising to have very low vit D at this time of year as you cannot get enough from the sun between october and March, years ago I had a vitamin D test that was on the floor - noone told me this at the doctors only when I asked 6 months later did I find out. They gave me a strong supplement at the time but now I take one from the health shop and try to be religious about it. Vit D is so important so hopefully supplementing will make you feel a lot better, mine was literally zilch but it came up with supplementation and actual sun exposure. I also have a UVB lamp but don't use it that often, at times when I was desperate I would have a sun bed because although they have UVA which isn't great they also have UVB which produces vit D in the skin, try not to worry, low vit D is very common and can make you feel rubbish on it's own without any underlying pathology xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 01:11:49 PM »

I take 2 tablets per day as the Pharmacy can't sell the same strength as GPs prescribe.  Apparently  >:(

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 01:36:50 PM »

My low level Vit D was picked up last year and I got prescribed high strength tablets for 6 weeks and then told to take normal ones permanently. My son, now 21, has always had low in his boots vit D levels since teen years.
Pages: [1] 2