Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Itchy skin  (Read 987 times)

Jazzy

• First Flush
Itchy skin
« on: April 18, 2023, 02:20:21 PM »

Has anyone else had itchy skin as a menopause symptom and if so did you find anything to help? I had six weeks of all over itchiness, with virtually no rash before my GP suggested trying HRT because anti-histamines and steroids made no difference. Within three days the itchness had disappeared. Unfortunately, after just three months it's back again. It is worse at night (apparently a sign of a hormone imbalance) and my oestrogen dose has been increased. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had the same issue and how you dealt with it. Thank you

Claire MM

Re: Itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »

I did, I had a really itchy scalp for months particularly at night, so much so that I kept treating myself and my poor daughter for headlice. After a while on HRT I got itchy boobs at night and I realised it was after taking utrogestan orally so strated using it as a pessary. Recently had a coil fitted (saga- won't go in to it - it's out now) and I had really awful itching. Personally my theory is that it's too much Progesterone to estrogen even though supposedly histamine is worsened by estrogen. If it does not respond to anti histamines then maybe it's not histamine. I tried going on a anti histamine diet for a while but it was so restrictive I couldn't do it (and I haven't been able to eat gluten and dairy for years so I'm not unused to restrictions). I would hope that the raise in estrogen would help. How do you take your progesterone?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 03:24:52 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out: skin, vagina, between the toes, scalp; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes ...... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

HRT should certainly help.  As will a mositorier, DH uses Nivea on his dry skin: I like 'vaseline' in the yellow bottle with success.  Often.

Jazzy

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »

Thank you for the replies so far. I now have two patches - one is combined oestrogen and progesterone and the other is the additional oestrogen. The itching is unbearable at times and very debilitating. I have almost every cream under the sun from emollients to calamine, hydrocortisone to anthisan and cooling gels. My skin is definitely hydrated! I used to suffer a lot when I was young from heat rash and this is very similar as it is worse when I get overheated which seems to be quite often at the moment! At one point in January I was sleeping under a single sheet!
Any suggestions for taking the heat out of my skin or anaesthetising it to the itching would be very welcome.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 08:31:20 AM »

The oestrogen replacement should help.  4 me it was my insteps  ::) as I stepped into the bath after taking socks off.  OK in the day but I would wake in the night with 1 rough heel scratching the opp foot.

I had heat bumps often as a child.  Dad used to say it was too much sugar !