Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blood in urine  (Read 5915 times)

Joanies

Blood in urine
« on: April 17, 2023, 08:11:05 PM »

I’ve had a 2 week referral made by gp to urologist as microscopic blood found in my urine sample.  I think I had a UTI the previous week and was prescribed 3 days of AB. Second sample showed no UTI but still trace of blood.  I’m having an ultrasound and a cystocopy on Friday and I’m worried sick.  I’m 64 so post menopausal. No other symptoms or issues.  Help please!!!

holidaylover

Re: Blood in urine
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 08:26:15 PM »

Joanies, I had issues with blood in urine a couple of times a few years back.  I'm post meno too.  Had the camera into bladder but nothing was found.  The doctor carrying out the procedure said it was very common in woman of a certain age and was likely hormonal.  The blood was never visible to the eye, just small traces.  At least your getting it checked and if nothing, at least puts your mind at rest.  Hope all goes well.

Joanies

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »

Thank you.  It’s such a worry !

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:34:59 PM »

Hi Joanies. I always show traces of blood in my urine and nothing's ever been found. I've had three cystoscopies and a kidney ultrasound over the past five years. Like Holidaylover I was also told that it is common in older women. Try not to worry. Hard I know

Taz x  :hug:

Joanies

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 05:03:05 AM »

Thank you.  Very kind to reply x

marge

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 05:41:51 AM »

OH recently had the same thing, microscopic blood in urine. Umpteen tests, nothing untoward found. Consultant explained that there are 1000s of tiny blood capillaries in the bladder area and when one pops (as they often do), it results in microscopic blood in the urine.

Joanies

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 05:59:02 AM »

Thank you so much for replying.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 08:35:28 AM »

Any improvement Joanies?

Joanies

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »

Hi.  The blood is microscopic so not visible to naked eye.  Just stumbled on all of this as had major anxiety attack and ended up in A&E a few weeks ago. Routine bloods all ok but urine sample showed traces of blood. I feel fine just dreading urology appointment on Friday and scared silly as I suffer from anxiety. 

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 09:23:45 AM »

Twice I've been told I've had blood in my urine and am I drinking enough water, my answer was no, I hate the taste of water.

It's very common but made worse when suffering from health anxiety and they have to rule out everything, I swear preventive medicine will be the death of us all, turns me into a right mental case!!  ::)

Elliebee

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 10:29:55 AM »

My 80 year old mum had this too. Numerous tests found nothing wrong at all. Consultant explained that as women age the urinary tract dries out and the tissue becomes thinner and more fragile making it more susceptible to UTIs and inflammation which can result in microscopic blood in urine .
I know it is easier said than done but please try not to worry. I too suffer from health anxiety and I know how the negative thoughts can take over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »

Elliebee - was your Mum treated for vaginal atrophy ?  Which is more likely to be the problem than real infections.   :-\

Blood in urine is 'within normal limits' unless it's very obvious.  Dip stick tests at the GPs often shows it which is why samples should be sent for growing in a Lab.

Joanies

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 11:39:37 AM »

So good to hear reassurance from this forum.  Thank you to everyone that has replied.  I do suffer from health anxiety which means I have high blood pressure also.  With my age and high BP my GP sent the 2 week referral.   GP also did urine culture on follow up sample showing no infection.  No mention of VA by GP but I suppose they want to rule out any issues from urology tests first ?? I am trying to keep some sort of reasonable perspective about this but do hard when negative thoughts take over. 

Elliebee

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 12:14:36 PM »

CLKD my mum was prescribed a vaginal oestrogen cream.

Elliebee

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »

Joanies the negative thoughts do take over. I had CBT sessions and therapist advised writing down the positives and negative outcomes of each scenario. A sort of what else could this be.
Pages: [1] 2