Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Looking for experiences on Utrogestan vaginally on a cyclical basis  (Read 1110 times)

Sunnydays

Hi everyone,
i know there's lots and lots of posts about Utrogestan but I'm looking to make a decision with the progesterone part of my hrt and would appreciate a quick reply from anyone who uses this.

Just so you know I see a consultant privately. I know Utrogestan vaginally is unlicensed but I have regular intravaginal scans. I have just increased oestrogen to 100.

I'm very sensitive to progesterone and take just enough that is needed. I've tried Utro orally and didn't get on with it. I'm not a massive absorber of oestrogen either!

A few months back I started Utro vaginally  100 mcg every night. I kept getting bleeding so we increased to 200 vaginally every night (I used 2 of the 100 tablets). I was really cheesed off with the daily and at night discharge from this so we agreed i can take it cyclically to give a period. So over half my month is taken up with either discharge from the capsules or the 'period'!

I've asked about taking the Utro maybe every 2 months and this is a possibility. I just want any easy life now so.....may I ask:

- does anyone find that the 200mcg tablet vaginally gives less discharge than taking 2 x 100 mcg (I'm wondering if the 2 casings of the tablets gives more)
- does anyone do an off licence maybe bi monthly so as to keep progesterone minimal. Does it work? How much do you take?
-does anyone actually take 200 mcg continually?

Any quick replies would be very appreciated!

Floodlights

Re: Looking for experiences on Utrogestan vaginally on a cyclical basis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »

Hello…. Super quick reply as getting ready for work. I got utrogestan vaginally via private gp and then transferred to nhs… so it is available on nhs. I am sensitive to progesterone so oral didn’t work. I’ve taken 200mg vaginally for two weeks each month for a bout a year. Lots of discharge during those two weeks and it was interfering in the bedroom (my testosterone has kicked in!) So next month I’m going back to oral to see if now that I’m used to the utrogestan , I can tolerate taking it orally. I don’t know if this helps. Feel free to ask me more and I’ll answer asap x

Floodlights

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 07:10:35 AM »

My 200mg is one capsule vaginally. Lots of discharge that gets ‘flushed away with period. But annoyingly means that I have only one week per month with no discharge / period. Hence the move to try oral again.

Everyone told me to persevere with progesterone as it gets easier. That’s definitely happened for me. It’s taken a while though x

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 10:11:06 PM »

Really appreciate you taking time to reply Floodlights. Yes the discharge is just so messy and certainly impacts bedroom life!
My private consultant did say that if you're getting the right amount of oestrogen the side effects of progesterone will be reduced.
I guess it's true if you persevere the side effects may not be so bad, but for me , with most progesterones it just builds up and builds up and its like having bad PMT!
Will you be taking the Utro orally for just 2 weeks and get a period?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 11:38:19 PM »

I haven't found any difference between 200 & 2x100,they're both messy. I use 200 for 12 days per 6 week cycle but I don't alway bleed. If you're having regular scans I guess you could try to stretch it a bit further.

Sunnydays

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 08:27:13 AM »

Thanks Shells. Yes thats what I'm thinking - and definitely with the regular scans.

Emma74

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 08:45:37 PM »

Excellent questions and replies. I'm on my 7th day vaginally and already bored of the routine and discharge. I don't live with my partner and I haven't told him how I'm using them but it has put me right off feeling sexy. Like the replies say, you only get 1 week without period or tabs. I'm thinking of trying 1 orally and 1 vaginally until maybe I get used to it. Scared to death to take orally as I was o  progesterone only pill some years ago and it made me very depressed and angry. I hate taking medication for anything.

Toomuchstress

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 09:20:51 PM »

I wondered the same when I was prescribed it ,
I didn't want the tired feeling a lot of people said when taken orally ,

I was prescribed 100mg 2 tablets for 12 days ,
What I did was alternate it , I took them internally until I had discharge like you described them took them orally ,

Maybe ask If it is okay to change it up every few days or even one night orally and then another internally ,
It's worth asking and maybe you won't suffer the side effects from either x

Cookie25

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 10:09:10 PM »

Hi there

I am on cyclical for 12 days a month and use 2 tablets vaginally. I initially started orally but found they bloated me. Orally also gave me very vivid dreams.

I don't find the discharge bad at all. I use they at night and notice some mess sometimes with my first wee of the day but nothing like you ladies describe. I know Feel I'm bloated once I stop them and am waiting for my period.
Xxx

Claire MM

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »

Just as an additional comment I would use together with vagifem or ovestin cream, over time using utrogestan and cyclogest as pessaries without topical estrogen I found I developed VA and uncomfortable urinary symptoms etc and I wish I had known to do this, but I was attempting continuous, I thought it was 100 used cyclically as a pessary, good luck with it all xx

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 02:43:09 PM »

If you are getting them privately I wonder if they'd let you have the pessary you can use anally? I know you can't get it on NHS like that unless for fertility reasons. I can't remember what it's called but I used it during IVF and no issues at all.
I currently use 2 x 100mg vaginally on NHS but side effects build up cumulatively over the 12 days and by about day 9 I'm liked a beached whale and really down. Have never tried it orally as just can't take tablets on an empty tummy.

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »

The one I used anally is called Cyclogest!

TM73!

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 07:06:22 AM »

I’m on my second day of taking it vaginally (from day 15, 2 x 100mg) and apart from a bit of the casing being visible when I pee first thing in the morning, i haven’t noticed much discharge. All the best to you in getting the treatment that suits you best.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 08:19:03 AM »

I have used Utrogestan vaginally on a cyclical basis for 12 years. Initially every two months but gradually shortening this and now every 5 weeks because of thickened lining. I have never taken it orally. I always get a bleed (yes even in late 60's - horrible!).

I have a lot of discharge from it and have to wear a panti-liner at night. Initially I had the 200 mg capsules as they were licensed for HRT and now they stopped producing these annoyingly though exactly the same ones are used for fertility - just different packaging! Last HRT review after hysterosocopy/biopsy the doc agreed to prescribe the 200 mg pessaries but they were out of stock so I am still using up my 100 mg supply...

Alternating oral and vaginal insertion is fine though if it causes variability in the amount of progesterone getting to the uterus, there may be incresased chance of spotting or bleeding if the level falls.

Re side effects - even taken vaginally I get side effects - excessive fatigue especially in the mornings, vivid dreams, bladder irritation and sometimes migraines - but maybe taking it orally would be worse? This is why I cannot take it daily and have to endure a cycle even at my age if I want to remain on HRT.

Re Cyclogest pessaries - I used these for a few years - 400 mg 11 days per 28 days - two capsules and I used to insert one up the front and one up the back, but the anal insertion was HORRIBLE and I wouldn't recommend to anyone (unpleasant effects the following morning and won't go into details!).

Hope others find this helpful

Hurdity x