Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Menstrual Period after 12 years!  (Read 1298 times)

dawnfitz

• First Flush
Menstrual Period after 12 years!
« on: April 16, 2023, 10:18:47 AM »

I'm 60 years old and started the menopause when I was about 48. I've been using HRT for about 10 of those years (patches in the first few years and pills later). I had an occasional bleed (more of a show-not enough for a tampon or sanitary pad) a couple of times throughout this period of time. I had a polyps removed a few years ago.
Then 7 days ago I had a period, not heavy and mostly dark blood/discharge and only enough to require panty liners. My boobs have been heavier/fuller and I've had period cramps, although not severe.
I wondered if anyone could throw any light on this or has had the same? Is it a regular thing or should I be getting it checked out? I'm due for a routine smear in 3 weeks anyway.
I'm on Femoston-Conti.
Any advice would be gratefully received 🙂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menstrual Period after 12 years!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:01:43 AM »

Welcome on board.  Browse round, join in.

It is suggested that any unexplained 'menstrual-type' bleed after a break of no periods should be investigated on an 'in case' basis.  Certainly mention this when you go for your smear test.    Dark blood suggests that there is a 'hold up' somewhere as there isn't enough hormone to push through freshly collected blood. 

Can U remember when you last 'real' period might have been?  During the years leading up the last one mine waxed and waned: sometimes I would miss months then they would return 'as normal'  ::).

Let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 11:49:09 AM »

Hi dawnfitz. It's important that you have this checked out just to rule out anything nasty but hormonal blips can do this especially as you have had heavier fuller boobs. Don't be alarmed if you are given an urgent appointment as these are guidelines that should be followed for unexplained post meno bleeding. I wouldn't wait until your smear test as this wouldn't show up any womb problems. Let us know how you get on

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 01:04:51 PM »

I agree you should ask for a scan. If it feels like a period it might be one but it would be rare 12 years after peri so really best to get checked.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 10:17:15 PM »

Hi. I’ve read through some of these posts and wasn’t sure where to put this so I apologize if it seems like I am
High jacking your post. I just don’t know where to post my question.

I am 52 years old and had my last period last May. Yesterday I started cramping and today I have a heavy blood flow with soreness in my breast. I’m not on any meds but did the worst thing possible abd googled post menopausal bleeding.

I called for an appt at my dr and they can’t see me until Friday. I’m panicking thinking worst case scenarios. I am a single mom to a 12 year old son and have no other family. So just was looking for some reassurance. I apologize again. Just a bit scared and lost.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 11:46:05 PM »

Hi Flowergirlphilly. Don't apologise. Forums can take a while to find your way around.

Post menopause is when you have gone twelve months without a period and I think you are saying that your last period was in May last year? If so then you are just within the twelve months. This happened to me aged 52 and I then went on to start having fairly regular periods again. It was frustrating having to start counting again to get to that magic number of twelve months without! I'm sure the doctor will reassure you.

You might like to introduce yourself on the New Members thread so more of the wonderful women on here can also welcome you. You'll find lots of support on here. I hope you don't feel so scared now.

Taz x :welcomemm:

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 12:21:42 AM »

Thank you so much Taz. I appreciate your kind response. I wish I wasn’t a worrier.

Yes my last period was beginning of May 2022. So I know I’m under a year but was just concerned.

You are very kind to have replied so quickly.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 07:58:27 AM »

Of course we think worse case  ::).  Dr Google has a lot to answer for!

As Taz suggests, this can be 'within normal limits' during peri-menopause.  Let us know how you get on.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »

Thank you so much again. I just didn’t know what was considered post menopausal bleeding.

I’m having all the symptoms of a regular period. Cramping, flow, water retention and fuller breasts. And this was after having nothing since May 2022. So still not clear on what they considered post menopausal.

I will keep you posted. Have a nice day.

PS. I used to live in London for 15 years. I worked for a design house but moved back home to Philly a few years ago.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 11:06:31 AM »

Once we reach menopause, that's it.  Peri-menopause is when we notice changes in mood, anxiety levels, periods waxing and waning.

After 12 months without a bleed, we can consider that we have reached menopause = last monthly bleed.  However, Nature can throw a curved ball  ::) so we need to begin counting from that period.  For another 12 months.

I found that cramps continued for many years, I would think "Not after all this time!" but I never bled.  Hormonal ups and downs.  Probably.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »

Thank you again. If you don’t mind can I ask how old you are and at what age you had (if you have had) your “final period”?

I’m sorry for all the questions. None of my friends are at the menopause stage (most are still under 50). And my mother died when I was young (none cancer related) so my resources are limited.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 11:27:04 AM »

Flowergirlphilly:

My periods began waxing and waning in the mid-1990s - I was caring for 4 sick pets so didn't notice much.  I knew there were gaps and knew it was 'normal' for me, being The Change. I was approx 43+.   

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »

Post menopause is when you have had at least a year without a natural period. You didn't quite get to the year so you are still considered to be peri-meno. You may now get more periods (like I did) or this may be your final one. Have you any other menopause symptoms such as hot flushes or vaginal dryness/UTI type symptoms?

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 01:14:00 PM »

The 12 month figure used by the nhs is a bit arbitrary and errs on the side of safety. Some women do go longer than 12 months and then have periods again. If it feels like a period it's very likely that's because it is one but if you're worried about it speak to your gp.

Flowergirlphilly

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 01:41:12 PM »

@taz. I have had some urinary issues for the past 10 years. Nothing debilitating and I’ve actually never had a UTI. But last year I had a kidney stone. I was fortunate that it passed without pain. It was caught on an ultrasound that my insurance (I’m in the us) required as part of my wellness visit.
No hot flushes yet or I don’t think so.   

@shelly. Yes I just found it peculiar bc I didn’t have anything for close to a year and then …surprise.  I’m meeting with my gynecologist on Thursday so will see what she says. Thanks again
Pages: [1] 2