Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Coming off gel and Utrogestan -anyone have a suggestion how to reduce gradually?  (Read 2366 times)

CherryC

Hi, I am considering a trial period without hrt (only considering at the moment!). I am currently using 2 pumps of Oestrogel and 100mg Utrogestan nightly.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a plan to reduce and then stop? Over how long and how to reduce both? Thanks

Peanut31

Hi

I reduced my gel only, and over period of 2 weeks, then stopped completely.

Cutting down to 1 pump of gel then half a pump.

Stopped my progesterone after the last course of my 14 day cycle.

I have to say I felt a lot better without HRT, but now my symptoms are all coming back as to the reasons  I was put on it in the first place.

I definitely need some HRT but it’s a tweaking process for me.

I am going to try it again (started June 2022 stopped end of January 23). This time I am going to apply last gel and take progesterone vaginally.

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

CherryC

Thank you Peanut31, that is very helpful. I am tempted to try stopping to see if it is contributing to some other issues I am having, but equally don't want other issues to arise by stopping! I will try reducing and take it from there! Thanks again x

Hurdity

Hi CherryC

Not sure if this research has been updated but there was a study a while back which looked into this - and found that the speed with which you stop HRT had no impact on the final outcome ie whether or not you would get a resumption of flushes and sweats (can't remember if this is all they looked at....). In other words the long term flushers will get them coming back eventually whereas those for whom flushes would have happened (without HRT) for a shorter period of time (years?, months?) did not experience a resumption. Not sure if I've explained that very well!

However the speed of stopping will surely affect how you feel as you come off the hormone irrespective of the final outcome. It makes sense that, just as it is recommended to increase oestrogen doses slowly to allow the body to acclimatise before going higher, that reducing gradually will minimise the shock to your body of sudden withdrawal of oestrogen.

Also it is important to keep on with the progesterone while you are still taking the oestrogen so even if you reduce to a lower dose of gel, keep in with the Utro and aim to stop both at the same time. It's not necessary to taper off the progesterone and maybe not wise, because it is protecting your womb while you are taking it.

Most women experience some sort of withdrawal when stopping utrogestan or any progestogen - but this is normal pms and the effects should not last beyond a few days, until it has cleared your system.

Depending on your age and other factors, some consequences of oestrogen reduction post-menopause appear many years later eg osteoporosis although there is a strong genetic factor I gather, and other factors relating to diet, BMI etc.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

CherryC

Thank you Hurdity, that is extremely useful information and good to know, whether I decide to do it now, or in time.  I'm sure many others will find this information helpful too. x

Suzysheep

Just do it very gradually.
I had an awful reaction to stopping my HRT. The dr told me just to take the patch off.. within a week or so I had a full blown breakdown!  It took around 4 months to get back to my normal self.

Bit by bit… very slowly!

donnafloyd

Hi,

My gp advised me to come of my hrt in January. I was on 2 pumps of estradiol and 100mg utrogestan because the utrogestan was making me poorly she did a 6 week trial.
For the first 2 weeks, I was feeling much better then boom it hit me all symptoms came back only twice as bad and I suffered really bad hairloss and extreme thinning which I never experienced before since starting with perimenopause February 2022. I can only assume going cold turkey and my hormones dropping must have done this, I would advise very gradually x

Peanut31

Hi

Can you ask if you have started back on HRT based on your symptoms coming back.

I’ve started back on it this week as at first I felt absolutely brilliant but, then my symptoms came back and I’ve started again. I suspect I was having too much oestrogen as I’m peri menopausal so having 1 pump a day and advised to take progesterone vaginally rather than orally but only 100mg not 200mg.

Best wishes

donnafloyd

Hi Peanut31,

I did go back on HRT after i had spoken to GP the same dosage 2 x Gel and 1 x 100mg orally but symptoms had gotten worse, more hairloss and i was a complete an utter wreck, going cold turkey was not a good idea for me anyway. I wasn't sure what was causing the problem oestrogen or progesterone, so i went to see a gynaecologist who said i needed to up my oestrogen to maybe 3 or 4 pumps but because she thinks i am sensitive to Utrogestan tablet she booked me in for the Mirena Coil and a hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy to check all was ok due to constant bleeding which could have been due to messing around with HRT, had this done on 11 days ago and have to say for me the coil was the best option I have no symptoms now (touch wood stays like that but still early days)  just the odd spotting and cramp which you can have for 3 -6 months after insertion. After visiting my consultant last Wednesday she's put me on the gel 2x pumps for 3 months to allow my hormones to settle after the ups and downs then i can go to 3 if i need to and i no longer take the progesterone tablet... I am too peri menopausal have been for just over a year. 

Best wishes x