Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eustachian tube dysfunction  (Read 5329 times)

Rosie Roo

Re: Eustachian tube dysfunction
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 06:28:29 PM »

I had this problem and went to the doctors last week . He said my ear was very inflamed and prescribed an ear spray called Otomize . Wow , inflammation gone and no more blocked ear after 3 days xxx

HelloSam666

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 08:14:06 PM »

Hi Rosie, Otomoize is brilliant. I was plagued with middle ear infections when i was younger and my ears itched like crazy. The spray sorted it out very quickly. If only it could resolve this problem  :)

HelloSam666

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 11:44:51 AM »

I just thought it it would be helpful to give you an update on my blocked ear which as I'd mentioned has  been ongoing since before Christmas.

I've been using the Avamys nasal steroid spray prescribed by the doctor and also undertaking the exercises, thank you Getting Old. Although these have helped, it hasn't cured it completely.

A week ago, I had to get a prescription for Nitrofurantoin due to a UTI. It was only a 3 day course and i finished it a couple of days ago. It sorted the UTI but coincidentally it seems to have sorted my ear! Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone  ;D. From what i have read, it is an antibiotic only prescribed for UTIs so it's either a coincidence or did actually resolve it. I knew something was happening when i had a day of my ear popping and a weird feeling back of my throat - felt full and I had to keep clearing it.

Emma74

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 08:32:59 PM »

You could have something called BPPV. Usually starts when waking up and getting vertigo. Not life threatening but scary! If your dizziness has not gone yet you can get a proper diagnosis with a physio who will do a head movement with you and then an Epley maneuver.  All takes a few minutes. It may not be this but it is a very common illness which is often misdiagnosed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »

Tnx CrispyChick.

HelloSam -  ABs will improve any inflammation in the body - might be worth telling your GP about the ear improvement.

HelloSam666

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 08:19:05 AM »

Thanks Emma, although it's definitely not that as i had only one brief episode of feeling dizzy when my ears first blocked up. I am aware of BPPV as my partner's mother had it and had to undertake those exercises.

Anyway, i spoke too soon, the antibiotics did not work for the ear. Sods law as soon as i posted on here, they blocked up again  :(.

I have now bought the Otovent system that Crispy recommended. First time using, my ears popped for a while but then blocked again. However, you have to use it for a week or so and then maintenance. Currently, it's only blocking for a few minutes a day so a massive improvement - makes a huge difference. From the reviews i've read of people using this, they have been on a similar journey as me with GPs; antibiotics, steroid nasal sprays etc - nothing works.

I'm staying positive that this might do the trick. No point going back to the doctors if it doesn't so i guess next step would be to make an appt with an ENT consultant.

Thanks everyone, Sam

Emma74

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »

Fingers crossed, it is very annoying! I got it after having BPPV (so said the doctor without seeing me) pollen makes mine worse or having a cold, anything really  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]