Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT at 57?  (Read 1191 times)

coxl24

• First Flush
HRT at 57?
« on: April 13, 2023, 02:16:30 PM »

Hi
I'm 57 and about 5 years post-menopausal, I suffered all sorts of symptoms for 5 years before the menopause and most of them have continued since - hot flushes, itchy skin, irritable, anxiety, low mood, tiredness, insomnia, VA, urgent need to pee*. I was prescribed HRT a few years ago, but was too anxious about the risks to take it. I am now desperate - I haven't slept through the night for 10 years (literally, not once) and I now wake every 2-3 hours. In addition to that, about twice a week, when I wake at 3 or 4am, I will not be able to get back to sleep at all. As well as dealing with my symptoms, I now have to deal with what I think are the cumulative effects of my decade-long insomnia - my short-term memory has deterioriated, I am constantly tired and irritable, have low mood and continuous brain fog.
Does anyone have experience of starting HRT post-menopause and it helping insomnia and anxiety and low mood?
Thank you, in advance!
*I did, and still do use Ovestin, which helped a bit with the VA, though have today seen on MM that you can use more frequently to help with VA and urgent need to pee, so will try that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:21:46 PM by coxl24 »

Songbird

Re: HRT at 57?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »

Hi there,
Your back story could be mine so I feel confident that I can respond to you..
I am 58 and started HRT just over a year ago (having been 5 years without a period when I started the HRT). I suffered symptoms for, approx. 10 years prior to taking the plunge. Like you the VA, anxiety, low mood, sweats, insomnia etc gradually got so bad that the need to have my symptoms treated outweighed the anxiety I had about taking HRT.
All I can say is that  I wish I had realised what I had to do at 47 rather than waiting till 57! I have not looked back. All of my symptoms have either gone or (in the case of a couple of symptoms) are mild and non intrusive so I would say....
Go for it. It's certainly worth a try (I guess as long as your health/family history allows you to take HRT)

coxl24

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »

There were no health/family history barriers raised a few years ago to my taking HRT, so I'm hoping that's the same now.  GP appointment in three weeks, so fingers crossed.  Thank you for the response.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 07:19:26 PM »

im 58 in may. i started hrt last feb. im 4 yrs post meno.

my symptoms were tinnitus insomnia chronic amxiety.

hrt is helping. its not instant and hrt may need tweaking but i can recommend it personally xxx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 08:52:21 PM »

You deserve a medal for putting up with it for so long. My main symptoms were insomnia and anxiety, it's impossible to feel well when you can't sleep. I started hrt at 57 but I was still peri, for me it was life changing. It took 3 months for them to go completely.

Ruralrach

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 07:37:00 AM »

Hi,yes started at age 55  it's now really helping.it's taken a change from patch to get but I'm finally feeling like me again.it's not instant and I'm now 4 months into Oestrogel and flushes are gone and sleeping a lot better.I'm also on Utrogestan and Ovestin I think it has to be worth trying to improve your life.