Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bladder  (Read 2432 times)

MiriamT

Bladder
« on: April 12, 2023, 03:20:03 PM »

Hi, I started expecting pain when urinating and bladder irritation about 3 years ago, was prescribed oestrogen vaginal cream which seemed to help a lot. I then started getting more menopausal symptoms, and decided to go on HRT, 50mg patches twice a week, and progesterone two weeks on two weeks off. Recently the bladder issues have reoccurred, I had a phone appointment with my GP who advised me to drink more water, less green tea and alcohol which I have done. 6 weeks on and it is worse than ever. Today I have urinated 15 times, sometimes with only 5 mins apart. My question is could the HRT be making it worse ? I don't want to stop as my mood is so much better but this is getting very annoying!

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!

Miriam 

Flossieteacake

Re: Bladder
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 03:23:36 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your bladder woes. How often are you using the oestrogen cream? I use it every day. If I stop for one day then the symptoms return. There are some tips that you may not be aware of. I avoid baths as sitting in water can irritate so I now only have showers. I wash in emollient applying some to the vulva, washing it off in the shower and then reapplying to act as a barrier.

It was a good idea to give up the green tea as that really irritated my bladder too. Would you say the bladder issues have worsened since starting HRT? Some women find ultrogestan can irritate the bladder. If you are taking it then that could be making your bladder worse.

MiriamT

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 03:41:36 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply, it seems to have got worse to be honest, the doctor gave me a pessary to use with I higher dose of estrogen which made no difference. As I said I had this three years ago and it was much better with the cream, and does seem worse since going on HRT. If it is the progesterone, is it possible to stop using it? Also I didn't know I could use the cream every day !

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 03:56:51 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply, it seems to have got worse to be honest, the doctor gave me a pessary to use with I higher dose of estrogen which made no difference. As I said I had this three years ago and it was much better with the cream, and does seem worse since going on HRT. If it is the progesterone, is it possible to stop using it? Also I didn't know I could use the cream every day !

Drs are not often aware the cream can be used more often but many members on this forum do need to use it more then the twice a week the Dr will suggest. Perhaps you could try increasing the use of the cream and seeing how things are?

It would not be possible to stop using the progesterone but it would be possible to try another one if you feel that is causing your bladder to feel worse.

Have a browse on the vaginal atrophy threads on here and you will see many women have had the same symptoms and needed to use the cream more then twice a week. :)

MiriamT

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 04:02:32 PM »

So I need to have progesterone?
I wasn't sure as have read many different things! Today is the worst it has been for ages even after giving up tea and wine and drinking lots more water !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 04:22:28 PM »

Your GP needs a  :kick:.

Vaginal atrophy treatment is different to other forms of hormone replacement therapy, though some do require both localised treatment as well as patches/tablets etc..  If U have a womb you require progesterone.

If you are drinking more you will pee more.  R U using any VA treatment at all?

MiriamT

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »

I wouldn't say I'm drinking excessively tbh, and no I'm not on any other treatments for VA.
This urinary issue is pretty much the only symptom, I use lube when intimate, so no pain or soreness, just the pain or discomfort peeing and not feeling I've completely emptied my bladder ? Today I have peed 15 times +

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 05:40:49 PM »

It's likely to be vaginal atrophy.  Repeated urination is one of the 1st signs.  Do try VA treatment, for at least 3 weeks nightly insertion: when I get the need2P I take 'nurofen' 3 times a day.  It eases the feeling of needing to empty the bladder.

Using VA treatment may well help symptoms - what is there to lose?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »

Make sure you do not drink too much water either or you will be going to the loo a lot. :)

Peanut31

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 07:04:19 PM »

Hi

I would ask to try Vagifem, this is used internally, the tablet is on an applicator which you insert inside.

This has helped me no end. You will be given a loading dosage of everyday for 2 weeks then you take it 3 times a week after that.

Personally I can’t take it 3 times a week and still need to take it daily.

My GP won’t prescribe it daily and only 3 dosages a week, so I have to get the remaining amount privately.

Best wishes
Peanut31

MiriamT

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 07:45:57 PM »

I had that but didn't help, the estrogen cream is better for me. I'm going to try using it more often and see how I go x

Is that the only treatment for VA?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 07:49:35 PM »

The only treatment is localised oestrogen. It could be a pessary or cream. Like you I use cream too. I use Ovestin.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 08:02:46 PM »

oestrogen vaginal cream which was prescribed previously is usually 'ovestin' or 'vagifem'.  There are a couple more new to the market, menobrain can't remember the names  ::).  Many have to use nightly for quite a while.  Let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 08:23:42 PM »

Hi Miriam T. Good advice about VA. Have you had any bladder investigations? Also do you feel that you're bursting to go but only pass a little or are you passing a good volume each time? Do you have sudden urgency and how many times are you having to go during the night? Sorry for the questions  :)

Taz x  :welcomemm:

MiriamT

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 09:17:08 PM »

I'm on estriol 0.01% ?

It's weird , I go to the loo and then a few minutes later I need to go again, this goes on for a while. It's calmed down now but I never know when it's going to flair up.

I've not had any bladder investigations , that was my next move
I go once or twice through the night
Pages: [1] 2