Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Moving to continuous progesterone  (Read 756 times)

Ches15

Moving to continuous progesterone
« on: April 04, 2023, 07:13:18 AM »

Morning all,
Just after some advice. I’m currently on 14 days of  2 tablets of Utrogeston. I’m still peri and I know that it’s to stop your womb lining getting too thick but I’ve found that i am missing alternate periods now and often just getting brown blood. Is this normal even when on Hrt? I use 3 sprays of Lezetto.
When i was last at the docs they did say I could start a continuous regime as I had been on Hrt over a year.
I’m tempted to start now as i used to find I was better on the 2 weeks of just oestrogen but in recent months I’ve felt better during the 2 weeks on oestrogen and progesterone. Is this a sign that i’m in the later stages?
If anyone has changed from sequential to continuous did you find it ok or were there any side effects?
Thanks 😊

Evie606

Re: Moving to continuous progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 09:31:22 PM »

Hi there,

I was also moved on to a Conti regime after 18 months on HRT even though I was peri. It helped with the rollercoaster symptoms as I was still having regular periods with awful peri symptoms. These seem to settle on Conti.
2 years on and I no longer have any bleeding so think I’m now finally into the proper menopause phase and things are getting easier. It’s trial and error so there won’t be any harm in trying a Conti regime if doc is recommending it.
Good luck. X

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 10:46:43 PM »

Taking it for 25 days per cycle can be useful in late peri as it allows a bleed if there's been a build up. The downside of using a conti routine too soon is that you can have unpredictable bleeding.

VanillaLover

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »

Hi yes I have had the same advice from my GP. Start continuous as I’ve been on sequential HRT 18m+. I still get my own periods regardless of the HRT cycle and we have discussed that the continuous won’t change that.

I must say I prefer the continuous so far. No ill effects from the utrogestan and feel more stable (been more stable all this year though so could be a coincidence). We also discussed upping to 200mg utro daily if needed (I’ve been having prolonged bleeding and some spotting which is being investigated. If it turns out to be hormonal this could be an option to try)

Ches15

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 07:58:02 AM »

Morning,
Thanks all, that’s good to know. I think i’ll trial it and see how I go  :)

Clarella

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »

I’ve switched to continuous as had the same issues and had been on it a year.

But then needed to increase oestrogen, which has led to erratic bleeds, or rather heavy spotting. I then moved to 200 daily and I am doing the 25/28 and it seemed to sync but then covid messed things up. So still seeing how things go. 25 was my suggestion; Gp was happy for just continuous.

There’s a 21 / 28 day regime (basically and extended cyclical regime) that I’ve read on the BMS progesterone sheet. If things don’t settle I may try this. Or mirena.

One of the reasons I wanted to try continuous was that I couldn’t deal with the ups and downs and terrible pms. I’m also on thyroxine and I just feel I need stability. It’s mostly really helped.

though this post covid irratic spotting has been hard work as I felt very faint with it too.

As witb all things hrt you have to give it a good 3-6 month trial.

Ches15

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:17:25 PM »

Thanks Clarella it’s good to know you think it has helped!
I feel quite frustrated at the minute as PMS has become an issue again as have palpitations and anxiety.
I feel like I probably need more Oestrogen but I was told that 3 sprays of Lenzetto is the max they recommend a day so not sure if I can ask for more?