Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello and lots of niggly things  (Read 1735 times)

Evies19688

Hello and lots of niggly things
« on: April 04, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »

Hello everyone and I am so  glad I found this site!  I felt the same way as I did in the dim and distant past when I found a really good website about being pregnant  ;)
I'm 54 and my last period was in February 2022.  I'd been feeling okay and was relieved not to be having hot flushes or too much brain fog but over the past few months lots of small things have been going on which on their own would be okay but together they're making me miserable.    I used to be able to walk for miles and miles and now, I find after about 2 miles the muscles around my upper thighs/hips ache and pain really deep inside.   This also happens sometimes when I'm in bed at night - it feels like I'm lying on a rock!   I keep getting this weird burning sensation in my chest - at the top and across my front (underneath the shoulders). and also get an ache in my jaw bone.  I've always been incredibly health anxious and worry, worry, worry so thought this was a silent heart attack. So much so that I went to A&E at the beginning of March and they checked my BP and oxygen (oximetre)  and did an ECG trace and then took bloods. All of which were fine so for a few days I stopped worrying and now I'm doing it again.  On Sunday night we had pizza take away and  (perhaps I ate too much!) but about 10 minutes after eating I felt incredibly sick and began getting the burning sensation again across my upper chest.    The other night this feeling woke me up and I panicked completely.  I keep trying to tell myself that if it was heart related they A&E Dept would have picked up on it. I have high BP so am on tablets and check it regular and sometimes still it is a little high but usually its fine. I checked it on Sunday night (pizza-gate) and it was fine.     I deep breathe often to make sure there are no pains and there aren't. I know I do this to myself but really find it hard to stop worrying despite being sensible elsewhere in my life!

My eyebrows have all but disappeared and I'm convinced my hairline has changed - though my husband and daughter insist not!   My skin is SO dry despite using moisturisers and lotion.

I went through a phase of my sleep pattern being completely disrupted waking up every couple of hours for a while and finding it hard to go back to sleep.    This isn't so bad now (touch wood!)

I sit at work sometimes and work myself up into such a state  I feel like running out the door and know this isn't good for me.   I have mild panic attacks where everything piles on top of me and my breathing becomes erratic.    I have read about menopause symptoms and only ever come up with the "usual" ones so find it difficult to believe that the niggly things that are going on with me are to do with that.  Having said that, I searched on this site "jaw pain" and lots of stuff came up so I suppose its one of the more unusual ones!    I'm sorry to ramble on but I don't have anyone else I can speak with about these worries.  Thank you for reading x

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello and lots of niggly things
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:24:24 AM »

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of how anxious you have been feeling. I think it is hard when we suddenly have odd sensations we cannot explain.

Pizza is a known trigger food for heartburn so it could have given you heartburn or indigestion after you ate it. I too seem to struggle to eat foods I used to eat without any issues. It is very annoying.

Menopause can cause all sorts of aches and pains. Many of us have been to the Dr will such symptoms, had tests and nothing was found. They never seem to put it down to lack of oestrogen.

It is great you have found us as you will find lots of support on here. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »

Hi!

Many years ago I would wake with such acute pain deep in the thighs that I was too shocked to shout out loud.  After weeks of wondering, it turned out that it was due to leaning over: we go to antique fairs so spent a lot of time looking into low cabinets full of jewellery.

Last year I was diagnosed with a bursitis of the hip which radiates a similar type of pain in the early hours.  I should do exercises [note the word 'should]  ::).

How is your foot wear?  As we age the instep may become lax which means that we compensate all the way from feet to skull. 

I can't tolerate a lot of cheese: for years I would have half a pizza at lunch time, 18 months ago I took one look and thought YUK  :-X.  Not had 1 since.  Lunch time is my hardest meal to decide on what to eat.

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils; vagina, anus, legs, between the toes.  Also muscle may become lax = aches and pains.

Most of your symptoms seem to be related to menopause, some of which can begin months after our last period.  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary.

Evies19688

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 09:45:14 PM »

Thank you for your answers. It's such a weird time of life. It feels like losing the person you used to be.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 08:45:24 AM »

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::) with knobs on  >:(

:tulips2:

HellsBells

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »

Thank you for your answers. It's such a weird time of life. It feels like losing the person you used to be.

Oh my goodness doesn't it? I think I have gradually been mourning lost youth - health, opportunities, fitness you name it.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 03:16:04 PM »

Have you had a thyroid test? Underactive thyroid has similar symptoms with you mentioning the loss of your eyebrows.
Jaw pain could be grinding your teeth at night through anxiety, I do this and have even broken a back tooth because of it.
Anxiety causes so many other symptoms too and is very debilitating.

Evies19688

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 03:19:01 PM »

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::) with knobs on  >:(

:tulips2:

Yes indeed  :D

Evies19688

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 03:21:12 PM »

Oh my goodness doesn't it? I think I have gradually been mourning lost youth - health, opportunities, fitness you name it.

I know exactly what  you mean - Every now and again I  catch sight of myself in the mirror and notice another change to my face and feel sad.  I know in many respects its shallow but its still sad to see yourself aging.

Evies19688

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 03:24:22 PM »

Have you had a thyroid test? Underactive thyroid has similar symptoms with you mentioning the loss of your eyebrows.
Jaw pain could be grinding your teeth at night through anxiety, I do this and have even broken a back tooth because of it.
Anxiety causes so many other symptoms too and is very debilitating.

Yes, I am on 100mcgs of levythyroxine. My dose was increased in December from 75mcgs. I started needing it after my last child (nearly 16 years ago) and was on 75mcgs for all that time.    I think that that increase is bringing its own issues though and the doctor at A&E said that, when she wrote to my GP about the attendance, she would recommend a change of meds.  Not heard anything yet  but that's not surprised.

I think I do clench my jaw unconsciously quite often but carry tension around with me all the time anyway. 

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 03:39:02 PM »

I wouldn't wait for them to contact you, may never happen with things as they are now. Might need to ring and remind them.