Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels excessively high. Is this inaccurate?  (Read 1090 times)

ToriiJ

Oestrogen levels excessively high. Is this inaccurate?
« on: April 07, 2023, 11:47:32 AM »

Hi ladies.

I know a finger **** test is less accurate than venous draw but I did my own oestrogen test. Followed all the instructions, sanitised hands etc. I applied gel the night before and did the test the next day late afternoon.

I got the results yesterday and the levels read 4433 pmol/L. I would just be interested if anyone has any knowledge as this seems excessively high?

ToriiJ

Re: Oestrogen levels excessively high. Is this inaccurate?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »

Urgh why does it post twice, I only did it once!

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 12:05:01 PM »

Finger **** tests are not reliable for oestradiol results and shouldn’t be used.

ToriiJ

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 12:25:33 PM »

Dotty can I ask why that is?

floraljo

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »

What type and dose of oestrogen are you on?

I'd have thought finger **** is unreliable if you are using that finger to apply gel??

ToriiJ

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 06:51:05 AM »

I’m on Evorel 75 patch and I have been adding one pump of oestrogel at night.

I’ve always been convinced I was low on oestrogen but have been feeling progressively worse as the weeks have gone on and am now thinking I have been overdosing.

I just don’t know whether to stop HRT for a few days to maybe reset my oestrogen levels, I’m just so confused. I can’t feel any worse than I do now.

ToriiJ

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 09:30:52 AM »

Hi poppytoast.

Thanks for your reply. I’m 50 and been on hrt just over a year, I’m not sure if I’m post menopausal. I hadn’t had a period for 7 months when I started hrt.

I do take 100mg of utrogestan every night. I’ve been on Evorel 75 since end of November, before that Evorel 50 and been adding the gel on for around a couple of months. I hadn’t really been feeling any improvement on the 75 but was at least having some moments that I felt ok ish. Now I just seem to be feeling consistently terrible, depression where I am only just functioning. I’ve been so adamant that I’m needing more oestrogen but thinking that may not be the case and it is making me feel worse, I just don’t know.

ToriiJ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 07:18:51 AM »

Hi again

I just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding my above post. I’m at a loss of what I should do. Tried googling for info but there doesn’t seem to be any clear explanation or advice.

Yesterday I ditched the patch and did have a slightly better day but wasn’t sure if going cold turkey was the best thing to do so have put a lower dose patch on (Evorel 50) I just don’t know whether to stop HRT to let my oestrogen levels drop as I’m just feeling particularly crap right now.

Thanks in advance

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 08:47:48 AM »

Hi again

I just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding my above post. I’m at a loss of what I should do. Tried googling for info but there doesn’t seem to be any clear explanation or advice.

Yesterday I ditched the patch and did have a slightly better day but wasn’t sure if going cold turkey was the best thing to do so have put a lower dose patch on (Evorel 50) I just don’t know whether to stop HRT to let my oestrogen levels drop as I’m just feeling particularly crap right now.

Thanks in advance

Hello ToriJ. So sorry to hear you are feeling depressed.  One thing I notice with HRT is when changing things too soon it can make a person feel worse. It seems to take time to adjust to a new dosage.

The thing is, often testing for oestrogen is not accurate especially a finger **** test so it is hard to know if your oestrogen is too high. I would try and see how things go on the 50 now and see if your body settles.

You have been on HRT now for one year and it sounds like the mental health symptoms have not improved. I am wondering if it may help to change the progesterone as ultrogestan can cause some women to feel worse.

When we spoke previously you mentioned your depression seems to be hormonal and this could be why AD's have not helped you previously. Have you ever been able to tolerate progesterone such as the mini pill?

ToriiJ

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 10:06:56 AM »

Thank you Flossie for your reply, it really means a lot.

I haven’t ever tried the mini pill, taking hrt was my first experience of progesterone, apart from naturally of course.

Perhaps I will stick to the 50 patch to see if things settle and have a look at an alternative progesterone.

I’m just after a quick fix and I hate it that there just isn’t one.

Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 10:29:32 AM »

Thank you Flossie for your reply, it really means a lot.

I haven’t ever tried the mini pill, taking hrt was my first experience of progesterone, apart from naturally of course.

Perhaps I will stick to the 50 patch to see if things settle and have a look at an alternative progesterone.

I’m just after a quick fix and I hate it that there just isn’t one.

Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated

You are very welcome. It would be wonderful if there was a quick fix. I am concerned you are feeling so depressed and have done for a while now. Does your GP know how you are feeling?

ToriiJ

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 11:53:18 AM »

Thank you Flossie. I am on ADs so my GP is aware of how I am, but to be honest I don’t think they’ve ever helped me. I can only get a telephone appointment and I never speak to the same doctor.

I’ve never had any luck with ADs, tried various and they help for a bit then that’s it. I do just feel it’s down to me to help myself. This forum has been invaluable to me too, I’ve learnt so much from all you knowledgeable ladies.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »

I can understand that. For me an AD takes the edge of depression but it does not do much more. That slight improvement is enough for me to stay on one.

Madge79

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 08:03:39 AM »

The gel stays in the layers of the skin for up to a month I believe. So when you **** the finger it measures the concentrated gel in the finger.

I had this exact situation a while ago, mine came back as 11000!!! Then ordered another one and paid extra for a vein sample and it came back at 400.

ToriiJ

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »

Thanks Madge for your reply. That does make a lot of sense. I think I will go the vein way for the next one
Pages: [1] 2