Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Too much progesterone  (Read 967 times)

Sammas

Too much progesterone
« on: April 09, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »

My doctor thinks I need more progesterone and wants me to continue on 100 Everol patches but as conti now with a progesterone tablet.  I’m scared to change so decided to continue the Sequi but instead of 50 progesterone for 2 out of 4 weeks to double it.  Since doing that I’ve felt anxious, on/off stomach ache, tired and very irritable.  What would you do? X

VanillaLover

Re: Too much progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 12:38:47 PM »

Just to clarify…

Do you mean you are taking utrogestan as the progesterone tablet? So are you taking 100 mg (one tablet) or 200mg (2 tablets) per night for those two weeks?

And you are still on one Evorel 50 patch is that right? Or did you move to the 100 patch?

Sammas

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »

Hi Vanilla lover,
I’m taking 100 Everol patches and 2 of the weeks 100 Everol patches with progesterone in them.  The doc gave me Provera tablets to take with plain Everol 100 but I’m scared to change the type of progesterone x

Ecl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 11:57:03 PM »

Hi Sammas, I’m not sure about your regime. Are you on everol 100 for 2 weeks then everol conti patches for 2 weeks ( everol 50 along with norethisterone)?.
If so, I would imagine it would be unsettling as you are yo-yoing your oestrogen every two weeks? I know when I change dose of oestrogen it takes more than two weeks to settle. I think this is probably why your doc wants you to take the separate progesterone so you can stay in the 100 everol all the time.
With tablet progesterone, it is usually a different dose if taken daily than if taken for two weeks, eg for utro a daily dose is 100 but if you take it for two weeks only it’s 200 a night. I’m sure there will be the same for provera so you could choose which you would prefer. Is provera norethisterone? If so you shouldn’t feel much difference especially if you know you can tolerate it

Sammas

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 05:57:19 AM »

Hi ECL,
Yes, 100 Everol for 2 weeks.  The other 2 weeks was 50 Everol and 50 Sequi and I’ve now changed to 100 Sequi on those 2 weeks.  I’ve been feeling irritable, nausea, stomach ache and lethargic x

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 07:02:29 AM »

Hi if you’re using 2 Evorel Conti patches at once then it’s probably the doubling up of the progesterone that’s making you feel ill.

Also a jump from 50 to 100 oestrogen is a big jump. You’d be better going to 75 with a separate progesterone.

Sammas

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:27:37 AM »

Hi Dotty,
Re the estrogen, I did 50, then 75, then 100.  0n 100, every 2 weeks I took the 50 with progesterone and the other 50 just Everol.  Bloody peri menopause.  I was scared to go on Provera conti as the doc said as it’s a diff type of progesterone so thought I’d do it my way.  Silly me! X🤪🤪

Ecl

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 07:57:12 AM »

Ah I see Sammas so you’ve doubled up your oestrogen but kept the same progesterone.
When I increase my oestrogen I can get bad stomach pains and feel out of sorts, a bit spaced out feeling which can all last for months. Last time I increased from evorel 50 to 75 I took it really slowly so cut bits off the patch to increase gradually which made the transition very smooth and I didn’t have the symptoms so it could be the oestrogen increase but I don’t know what I would do about it now, as I say when I went 25-50 it took months.
As well as that I am not sure if you are now on enough progesterone which is probably why your gp wants you to change. With utrogestan and provera there is a standard dose for a cyclic regime and a different dose for a continuous which only changes if there are issues such as bleeding on continuous. For provera it would be 10 mg for 12 days cyclically or 5mg daily.
On thebms.org.U.K. Website, they do mention taking norethisterone 5mg for 12 days or continuously ( they say 1mg would be fine for continuous but it doesn’t come in that strength so has to be 5) so you could ask to try that as your progesterone as it’s the same one as in evorel conti.

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »

Ah sorry I misunderstood… in that case you haven’t been taking enough progesterone for a 100 patch.

VanillaLover

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 08:41:39 AM »

Just to ask, have you found that the increase to 100 patch has helped your symptoms? Or are you still in the trial and error stage?

My feeling is that it’s a bit too much oestrogen for you.

So during the two weeks of sequi are you using two sequi patches at the same time?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:44:03 AM by VanillaLover »

Sammas

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »

Hi everyone,
I think I have confused you!
I have been on 100 estrogen for a while, but when it’s the progesterone weeks continued with 50 just estrogen and 50 estrogen and progesterone.  It’s only since Thursday I have doubled the progesterone to 2x50 patches of both hormones.  Since then I have felt yuk x

VanillaLover

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 07:12:21 PM »

Ah OK.

If you have been happy on the 100 oestrogen dose, then it’s clearly the increased progesterone in the two combined patches that’s caused the problem.

You do need that extra progesterone though.

I guess you have two choices…carry on as you are for a while and see if your body gets used to the extra progesterone, OR switch to a new sort altogether as the dr has suggested.

Did the doctor not offer you Utrogestan ? It’s actual body-identical progesterone as opposed to a progestogen (which act like progesterone but are a different substance….such as provera or the progestogen in Evorel conti). It’s meant to be “gentler” and easier to tolerate. I take it with no problems.

Sammas

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 07:25:54 PM »

Thanks Vanilla Lover.

I’ve always been ok on the 50 dose of progesterone and I suppose am scared to swap.  Obviously trying to sort it myself is causing side effects x