Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Breathing problems again  (Read 2556 times)

Katherine

Re: Breathing problems again
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »

Another update- yesterday I took my utrogestan 7 hours before bed, didn’t eat within 2 hours of bed and had an anti acid tablet before bed, and filmed myself sleeping and nothing happened, no breathing episodes.

I suspect now that it could have been eating close to bedtime and stomach acid coming up, causing asthma, as the GP thought. I will continue avoiding eating close to bed and taking the anti acid tablet and gradually move the utrogestan towards 2 hours before bed and then I will find out what it is. I’m just so relieved it didn’t happen last night and that it could be fixable.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2023, 11:13:24 AM »

This is great news! What a relief you have managed to work this out on your own too. :)

Katherine

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2023, 12:09:45 PM »

Thanks Flossie  :) I just watched some of the footage of me sleeping last night, I didn’t realise how much I move, I must have changed position about 8 times in 3 hours! I was hoping for some sleep talking or something but nothing that interesting. And I don’t snore it seems!

If the breathing issue turns out not to be caused by the utrogestan I should probably delete my threads about it, if that is possible, as I don’t want some  women to be afraid of taking it because of my possible mistake.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2023, 12:16:49 PM »

You could add an update to the title perhaps if you are unable to delete them.

It is interesting to learn you move a lot when you are asleep. I wonder if that makes you more tired when you wake up.

Katherine

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2023, 04:31:21 PM »

Good point Flossie. My battery went flat after 3 hours or so I don’t know how much I move further along in my sleep. I wasn’t waking up so I guess it won’t have too much impact.

discogirl

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2023, 05:56:53 PM »

Another update- yesterday I took my utrogestan 7 hours before bed, didn’t eat within 2 hours of bed and had an anti acid tablet before bed, and filmed myself sleeping and nothing happened, no breathing episodes.

I suspect now that it could have been eating close to bedtime and stomach acid coming up, causing asthma, as the GP thought. I will continue avoiding eating close to bed and taking the anti acid tablet and gradually move the utrogestan towards 2 hours before bed and then I will find out what it is. I’m just so relieved it didn’t happen last night and that it could be fixable.

Hi Katherine,

I'm so glad you seem to have found a solution xxx

Katherine

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2023, 06:28:37 PM »

Thanks Discogirl  :)

Katherine

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2023, 08:22:31 AM »

Well I’m pretty certain that eating too close to bedtime or during the night is what’s been causing my breathing problems. I’ve been taking my utrogestan at 10pm and not eating within 2 hours of bedtime for a while and I’ve had no episodes. Then last night I couldnt sleep and felt anxious about 3am and ate a biscuit and some chocolate to make me feel better and I woke at 5 unable to breath properly. Once I sit up it passed after a few seconds so I definitely think it’s stomach acid coming up and causing asthma.

Has anyone else experienced this and does it mean I need any other treatment? I need to amend my original thread about this in some way to say utrogestan wasn’t the cause. Does anyone know how I can do this?

I wonder why I used to be able to eat before bed or during the night with no issues and since last November I can’t. Maybe the hrt has affected my muscles in that region or something or maybe it’s just an ageing thing. Oh well, I will miss my cheeky kitchen cupboard raids in the night!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 08:40:59 AM by Katherine »

Penguin

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2023, 02:18:05 PM »

I don't get the breathing problems but have found since starting hrt that if I eat too close to bed time I get acidy. Either my tummy feels slightly burny, very mild though. Or I wake up with a nasty taste in my mouth. I have read that progrsterone in general can make this worse so perhaps it is somehow linked with the utrogestan too. What I mean is the utrogestan making you more prone to acid, and then the eating being the trigger. Have you tried eating amd then a swig of gaviscon advance? That usually makes it stay down long enough for me if I'm eating late for some reason, or just eating richer food in general.

Claire MM

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »

I think they say not to eat too close to taking utrogestan orally as I believe it increases the absorption. I think the idea of using utrogestan vaginally is because it is closer to where in needs to be (after all usually it is produced in the ovaries not ingested) and therefore it doesn't have to go through your liver etc to the same extent. You can have pessaries of utrogestan/cyclogest etc particularly used in IVF so it must have some effectiveness. I'm glad you have figured out the likely source of your problem however just thought I'd chip in and say if taking utrogestan and eating at bedtime it may increase the dose xx

Penguin

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2023, 02:48:07 PM »

ClareMM do you mean that vaginally means you might absorb more because it is more concentrated as not processed through liver?

Katherine

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2023, 04:43:03 PM »

Hi Penguin, That's interesting. I see what you mean. I will try not to eat during the night and if I do need to I will take some gaviscon straight after. Thank you for that. I had never thought of that.

Katherine

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2023, 04:48:50 PM »

Hi Claire MM, Thanks for replying, I have been leaving a gap of at least 2 hours between my evening meal and utrogestan and that was working, it's happened because I ate in the middle of the night then went straight to sleep after. It was about 7 hours after I took utrogestan. I think there could be something in what penguin is saying, that maybe utrogestan makes you more likely to get excess stomach acid after eating.
Pages: 1 2 [3]