Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Breathing problems again  (Read 2566 times)

Katherine

Breathing problems again
« on: April 03, 2023, 08:27:15 PM »

Hi ladies, 

You might remember I’ve posted twice on here about having breathing difficulties during the night which I think are caused by utrogestan.

Well in the last two nights it’s happened 3 times and I can only describe it as like someone has held a pillow over my face while I’m asleep and I wake up with a racing heart as if I’ve stopped breathing and it gradually comes back to normal over a few minutes. Like my breathing is suppressed.

I can’t go through it anymore and I think it could be really dangerous. I now think it could be because I take utrogestan orally very close to bed time and that it is causing inflammation. Maybe it’s coming up my tubes when I lie down. I’ve noticed it never happens after about 6 hours of taking it. So I am going to have a break from it for 2 days then start taking it 6 hours before bed and see if that helps. Does anyone have any thoughts or have had this experience?

If not I will have to try it vaginally. I am just worried that I won’t get the same protection if I take it that way. When you take it via the stomach you know it’s going into your bloodstream and around your body but if it’s in your vagina, how do you know it’s going to reach your womb? I just don’t understand. If anyone can explain how it works I would appreciate it.

Flossieteacake

Re: Breathing problems again
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:33:05 AM »

Oh no! I remember when this first happened. I am sorry it has returned and no wonder it has caused you so much worry. To feel you cannot breathe is so frightening.

I am sure somebody knowledgeable will reply about taking ultrogestan vaginally. All I know is many women take it this way and seem to do well on it.

I hope the break helps your breathing get back to how it was before.

Katherine

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 10:57:29 AM »

Thank you so much for your kind words Flossie. I had a better night last night without utrogestan. Only one mini episode but much milder than the usual. I’ll have another break today then try taking it straight after work tomorrow. I’ve also started on a preventer inhaler. X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 11:16:23 AM »

Thank you so much for your kind words Flossie. I had a better night last night without utrogestan. Only one mini episode but much milder than the usual. I’ll have another break today then try taking it straight after work tomorrow. I’ve also started on a preventer inhaler. X

That is a good idea. I find if I just miss one dose of my preventer inhaler I really feel it.

VanillaLover

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 11:21:43 AM »

Hi Katherine,

Sorry if this has been gone through before …I haven’t kept up with your previous problems with this I’m afraid.

Do you use a reliever inhaler normally/have asthma? Asthmas symptoms are not like what you are describing really (from my own experience).

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnoea?

Is it definitely happening only when you take the utrogestan?

I can definitely identify with the waking up with heart racing thing. I get that at certain times of the month. Often have vivid dreams/nightmares too…though I don’t think that’s what wakes me. I wake up with a start and can’t work out what’s wrong….realise heart is racing ….horrid. It’s definitely hormonal. Could it be anything like this? Do you get hot flushes that wake you at all?

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 11:51:43 AM »

Hi Vanilla,

Thank you so much for replying. I get asthma but it's usual very specific triggers like high levels of sulphites in food and drink, a day of exposure to paint fumes, a smoky environment, etc. I use my reliever inhaler infrequently as I just avoid the triggers. I've just started using a preventer inhaler in the last two days but it didn't prevent the episodes.

You're right, it does seem to feel different from asthma. It's feels more like I've almost relaxed too much and my airways have closed and I've stopped breathing, like I'm under anaesthetic. It could be asthma though, but maybe just feel different because it happens in my sleep.

It only happens when I take utrogestan. I can go weeks without it happening but for some reason it's happened a few times in the last few nights. Maybe on those occasions I took it too close to food or too close to bedtime.

Sleep apnoea has crossed my mind too, I've never been tested for it. To be honest I am reluctant to go to my GP again about it because I am worried they will stop me having utrogestan (I really want to take something body identical) and I just want to trial taking it 6 hours before bed first, and also leave a bigger gap between taking it and eating. I know it's not a panic attack because I've had them in the past and it's totally different. I'm sure it's not due to hot flushes either.

So I'm just experimenting at the moment. It's difficult to know what to do but I'm just trying to tell myself I'm still alive so probably unlikely to die from it. I really appreciate any thoughts or feedback as it will help me find an answer. x
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 11:56:16 AM by Katherine »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 11:56:55 AM »

You could use your phone to record you sleeping. I think you would know if you had sleep apnoea by the way your breathing sounds when asleep. I realise how boring it would be to listen to all the recording though. :)

Katherine

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 12:00:26 PM »

Flossie that's a great idea. So I can see if I actually stop breathing. If it happens, it happens quite soon after I've fallen asleep so I wouldn't need to watch much footage. I will try that. Thanks Flossie! x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 12:02:44 PM »

Flossie that's a great idea. So I can see if I actually stop breathing. If it happens, it happens quite soon after I've fallen asleep so I wouldn't need to watch much footage. I will try that. Thanks Flossie! x

You are welcome. :)

Katherine

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 07:48:09 PM »

I’ve been thinking about this today and it’s weird I’m the only one that has this issue with utrogestan. It does say on the medicine leaflet online something like there is a possibility of worsening of asthma.

Flossie do I remember rightly that you take it and have asthma too?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 08:07:11 PM »

I’ve been thinking about this today and it’s weird I’m the only one that has this issue with utrogestan. It does say on the medicine leaflet online something like there is a possibility of worsening of asthma.

Flossie do I remember rightly that you take it and have asthma too?

No. I could not tolerate it and stopped using it after a few days.  When I tried the progesterone Norethisterone, I had trouble breathing. I always seem to have reactions to medications that are not common.  ::)

Katherine

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 08:36:24 PM »

There’s very few things I can take without side effects too Flossie. I would consider the Mirena but I would worry about it being synthetic and of not being able to get it out quick if I had side effects. What form of progesterone did you take then Flossie? X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 08:14:04 AM »

I am still waiting to find one I can tolerate. I take one desogesteral but if I even try to add another half pill I become severally depressed. I have tried all the progesterone's and the menopause clinic do not know what to do with me.

Did you have any luck with filming yourself sleeping?

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 09:23:55 AM »

hi katherine

i just wanted to say how sorry i am that your still having breathing problems

i take the utro orally now, however i used to take it vaginally with no problems. vaginally it bypasses digestive system so vaginally it has less side effects. i think it works a bit like a pessary.

in so much as it disolves.

i really hope you get sorted as your advice has really helped me xxx

Katherine

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »

Hi Flossie, I didn’t film myself because I didn’t take utrogestan last night. I think I might have another day off it today as well. I had such a good nights sleep last night, no breathing problems, lovely deep breathing and slept soundly.

I know that won’t last though, it’s because there will still be a bit of utrogestan in my system and I will need to start taking it at some point. The utrogestan itself is really helpful, I think it’s just the dosage is wrong, but then we are told we need that amount to protect out womb. Maybe taking it after work and avoiding food for 2 hours either side will help.

I will film myself once I start taking it again Flossie, and report back. Thanks for being there for me xxx
Pages: [1] 2 3