Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Starting progesterone continuously effects.  (Read 976 times)

Cally

Starting progesterone continuously effects.
« on: April 03, 2023, 09:58:22 AM »

Good morning everyone, I am after some advice if that’s ok. I am on Estrogel 4 pumps and Utrogestan 100 mg. My last Estrogen test was last November which was 383 pmol/L. I had trouble tolerating progesterone in the beginning as it induced PMDD symptoms but this improved.

So as my tolerance was better and I haven’t had a period for 18 months I decided to take the progesterone continuously as last months follicular weeks were not great. I had a lot of anxiety attacks, which was new.

I take the capsule vaginally at night and the first day I had rage and irritability in the morning but felt good later in the day. The next few days I felt good. I had energy, good mood and clear thinking. My sleep improved. Unfortunately, these good effects have disappeared. I have become increasingly tired, irritable and have had a few spats with hubby. I have also felt tearful and unable to cope. I have developed acne on my face, specifically on my chin and cheeks. It is quite bad. I have never suffered acne, not even during puberty. Only the odd pimple now and again.

I also have really bad womb aching that feels like my womb is swelling up. It’s heavy and feels like a bowling ball about to crash through. I have aches in the top of my legs too. I have had recent scans and there is nothing untoward only two fibroids that I’ve had for years.

Can anyone give me any advice as to my symptoms please? Is it just the initial settling in period? Or does it sound like the progesterone is too high?

Adding in the progesterone has helped my insomnia which is a positive but left with some symptoms such as irritability, tiredness and acne. I’ve also noticed some itchiness and increase of hair loss when I brush it. Thank you.

Sunnygal

• First Flush
Re: Starting progesterone continuously effects.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 04:08:25 AM »

Hi, I know it's been a while since you posted, but I'm wondering how this went for you? I'm experiencing very much the same. My first few months on progesterone were fine- side effects were mild enough not to bother me terribly, but on the 3rd month became much more severe. Hair loss is getting severe, rage, horrible rosacea flareup and acne (overnight! my skin was beautiful yesterday) dry skin, etc. etc.  I hope things settled for you.

Scampidoodle

Re: Starting progesterone continuously effects.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 07:54:34 AM »

Hi when you first started progesterone how long did you get the pmdd symptoms for? Maybe a similar adjustment period?
I have given up on progesterone a few times due to depression and pmdd symptoms but often wondered if it would get better in time.