Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone o 200 continuous Utrogestan?  (Read 1506 times)

Stella2

Anyone o 200 continuous Utrogestan?
« on: March 21, 2023, 03:51:30 PM »

Hello ladies,
I am just wondering if anyone has been prescribed this? I had a breakthrough bleeding, scan confirmed nice and thin endometrium but gynecologist prescribed this for at least a month, suggested to take it also in the future to keep it thin. I took it for 14 days only due to sore breasts and reduced to 100, but started spotting in 2 months time.

Now I am back on 200, breasts are ok but I do feel a bit sluggish and worry about the heartburn. The GP does not want to consider vaginal use. I don't want Mirena, I am just unsure abou this regime and long ter effect.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Stella2

Re: Anyone o 200 continuous Utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:53:17 PM »

Just to add, I am definitely post Meno and on HRT (Estradot 50+ utro,) for 15 months now.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 05:22:24 PM »

I couldn’t take 200 utrogestan daily, god that would be horrendous. I really don’t think it’s designed to be taken in large quantities?

The Mirena fixed my bleeding immediately. It receives a lot of bad press, here and online. It’s really not that bad ( unless you’ve had a previous bad experience with it )

Try the utrogestan vaginally; the gp doesn’t need to know!

Good luck 🤞

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:17:33 PM »

Taking 200 conti is a known strategy for problem bleeding but imo no good if you feel bad on it. Personally I'd try 100 vaginally, perhaps 25/28 as this allows a bleed if there's been a build up. Vaginal use is off licence in the UK but not in the rest of Europe, this might be why your gp doesn't agree with it.

Stella2

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 06:19:27 PM »

Thank you Nas,
I am not too bad with Utrogestan but i do suffer from heartburn and waiting for the next outbreak now due to high Utro dose.
I am glad you have sorted your bleeding with Mirena, I am a bit afraid of having it. I am scared of the situation that I can't get it out straight away if it doesn't agree with me. Anxiety...

I wonder why gynecologist recommended that I take such a high dose continuously. :o

Stella2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 06:24:00 PM »

Thank you Sheila,
I guess as Nas also said, I don't have to tell GP that I am using it vaginally. I saw that some recommend to take less if using that way so 100 could suffice.
Are there any benefits in taking it 25/28 to allow the bleed? Would that not cause a bleed?

Ana21

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:58 AM »

Hi Stella2!

I'm postmenopausal and I've been on 200 mg continuous oral Utrogestan/Prometrium since Sept 2021 with no problems.  I don't suffer from low mood, fatigue, brain fog, etc.  My progesterone was increased from 100 mg to 200 mg due to a corresponding increase in estrogen.  I'm currently taking 2 mg estradiol (oral).

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 03:12:28 PM »

Hi
I have Just started 200mg utro as I had some bleeding and scan showed a slightly thicken lining. Had a hysteroscopy and biopsy and am awaiting result. The consultant felt sure it was just to much oestrogen and nothing sinister 🤞🏻

Stella2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 03:21:27 PM »

Hello Ana,
So good to hear you are feeling well on this dose, you are on quite high Estrogen dose so it's really good that they have prescribed this for you.

Hopeful, I am sure that you will be OK, I had couple of scans and a biopsy in the past due to bleeding and each time it was just due to too much estrogen.
Hope you will feel good on higher Utro too.

Ana21

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 04:55:20 PM »

Hi Stella2!

I've had problems with bleeding too.  Difficult to find the correct balance of hormones.  I wasn't absorbing the patch, so my doctor switched me to oral estrogen, Premarin 1.25 mg.  Bleeding improved but I continued to have spotting after 6 months, so we tried reducing the Premarin to 0.925 mg for 4 months.  Reducing estrogen caused the bleeding to increase.  I was now bleeding 20-21 days each month.  Not a successful experiment.  Increasing the Premarin back up to 1.25 mg reduced bleeding but spotting continued, as expected.  As a 3-month trial, I was switched to 2 mg estradiol and the bleeding reduced.  Very minor occasional spotting now.  I've only been on the 2 mg estradiol for a month and a half, so I'm hoping the bleeding continues to lessen. 

Prior to starting the estradiol, I had a biopsy, transvaginal ultrasound and sonohysterogram.  No positive findings.  I have bleeding with a thin endometrium, 0.4 mm. 

It's a frustrating process.  I've been on the waitlist for a menopause clinic for over a year.  I'm hoping a fresh set of eyes will help.

It takes time to settle on a new regimen.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Stella2

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 05:28:41 PM »

Sorry to hear what you had to go through Ana, it must have been so hard for and still is. I do hope your bleeding will stop completely.
My lining is 3 mm and still spotting on 50 patch, i think that's equivalent to 1 mg. It seems that Utrogestan is not the best solution for controlling bleeding.
Wishing you all the best

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 03:56:16 PM »

Thanks Ladies
I am sure it will be fine, my scan showed lining of 5.5mm and consultant showed me what the camera could see inside my womb which was red patches. But he said pretty sure just too much oestrogen for the utrogestan I was on. Just wish results didn’t take so long  :'(

MrsMitch

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 08:55:42 PM »

Hello Hopeful, I'm hopeful for you! I've just been prescribed continuous Utrogestan and 4 pumps of gel to try to help my appalling sleep. So is the Utrogestan a concern for the womb lining? I had endometriosis from my 1st period to my last and I did tell the GP this.
I hope you continue to be OK on the dose and the results from the scan are OK.

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »

Hi MrsMitch
If you have a womb you must take progesterone alongside oestrogen to protect the womb. 1 capsule Utrogestan if taken continuously is said to be enough for 4 pumps of gel or 100 patch, but it seems it wasn’t enough in my case or maybe I need a different form of progesterone. Of course if your peri and on sequi regime it’s 2 capsules for 2 weeks a month.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 01:30:53 PM »

Following this thread with interest. Still tweaking my HRT after 9 months, went back on it after a break of 2.5 years. It’s good to have suggestions for my reviews.