Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem pessaries for overactive bladder  (Read 3817 times)

Suza

Vagifem pessaries for overactive bladder
« on: April 02, 2023, 12:27:37 PM »

Hi
I've had an overactive bladder with urge incontinence for over 20 years now. I'm currently on mirabegron 25mg for about 6 years and also Evorel 50 patches.
Some of the many side effects of the bladder meds are dizziness, blurred vision and not being able to fully empty the bladder.
I've tried to stop using it but my symptoms just come back.
I've read on here I think that some women have success controlling their symptoms with vagifem pessaries.
I'm currently using ovestin inside and out, but wondered if there is a difference between the 2 products
Thanks for reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem pessaries for overactive bladder
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 02:56:11 PM »

Hi!  How often are you using the 'ovestin'?  Nightly might help relieve the feeling of an overactive bladder.  When mine is irritating I swallow 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day to ease that feeling of nipping as the urine flow shuts off, they help that 'need2P' sensation.

Some find that using 'vagifem' internally as well as 'ovestin', 'sylc' or 'yes' products on the other labia helps.

Suza

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:04:32 PM »

Hi
I'm using ovestin nightly although I'm only supposed to be twice weekly, it was after reading on here that I realised you could do that.
Unfortunately I can't take any ibuprofen as I have chronic kidney disease and they make it worse.
I was just wondering if the vagifem pessary was any different to me using the ovestin internally, or are they both basically the same thing, just named differently.
Don't want to seem silly if I ask my GP for a vagifem prescription
Thanks for replying

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 07:07:34 PM »

Nowt is silly and I think that there is a difference but I can't explain how.  Ring the Surgery and ask - Trial and Error ! 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 07:38:55 PM »

Hello Suza. I am sorry to hear about your bladder and that your GP does not understand the need to take Ovestin more often. If you use Ovestin daily then you may find that helps you. Some do use both Ovestin and Vaigfem and hopefully your GP will let you trial that.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 07:58:07 PM »

I think Vagifem is stronger than Ovestin.
I believe using either nightly is just for the initial loading up period but like CLKD says contact your surgery

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »

The leaflet assumes that women can cope with a few nights a week of 'vagifem' or 'ovestin': however, it is recognised that many require nightly applications regardless: in order to keep vaginal atrophy symptoms under control.  Dr Newson is trying to get the leaflet details altered.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 10:33:37 PM »

Have you had your bladder and pelvic floor re-assessed lately? You might benefit from repeating the initial urodynamic testing you hopefully had when you were being assessed. I had stress incontinence due to prolapse and then a repair. Since then urge incontinence has been more troublesome and I've now been reassessed three times which has helped. I also changed to decaf tea which made so much difference.

Taz x

Suza

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 08:53:51 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll get straight into the GP today with an e consult and see what they say.
Taz - it is quite a few years since I've seen anyone about my bladder, the mirabegron was great when I first started to use it, but I'm finding the side effects as I'm getting older are getting worse. There is something I've read about called sacral nerve stimulation so I'll ask about that too. I also use decaff everything as any caffeine has me running up and down the stairs all day. Good exercise, but that's about all!!
Thanks again

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 08:18:12 AM »

The sacral nerve stimulation is really interesting. I was surprised to find it available on the NHS, though the criteria for receiving it seems quite complicated. Vaginal oestrogen is one of the things that are listed as needing to have been prescribed I think. It's a miserable condition and you are right to explore alternatives.

Taz x

Suza

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 08:40:00 AM »

Well I've put in an e consultation yesterday with the surgery, they'll be in touch by 6pm tonight via e mail so I'll wait and see
Let you know the outcome

Suza

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 01:47:35 PM »

The update is a reply via text from the GP saying he appreciates that I probably would benefit from vagifem, but there are other alternatives, so can I make an appointment to speak to someone.
Problem is I've had all the alternative medications available over the years, apart from sacral nerve stimulation and Botox injections there's nothing new out there.
Back to square one!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 02:26:49 PM »

That is so annoying! You could send a message to say you have tried all and want vagifem. Hopefully they will issue it for you.

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 02:27:30 PM »

Make an appointment Suza - state your case describe exactly what other products you have tried.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »

Speak to your Practice Manager.  What 'others' does he expect to work  :bang: :kick:

Ring this afternoon and ask for Vagifem .  Explain that you are needing to replace oestrogen loss due to The Change. 
Pages: [1] 2