Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: No period for a year or two years?  (Read 455 times)

Daltocat74

• First Flush
No period for a year or two years?
« on: March 31, 2023, 11:21:58 AM »

Hi

I've been speaking to my GP about menopausal symptoms and I'm a bit confused with the timescales for when you're actually considered to be in menopause. I went 12 months without a bleed and then had the period from hell and then another 12 months followed by another horrible bleed. She's referred me for an ultrasound as I'm on tamoxifen, just to check there's nothing else going on but she was a bit dismissive of the fact that I thought I had been in menopause. I'm 48 and she said that anyone under 50 has to go two years without a bleed before they are considered to be in menopause and our local menopause clinic would not take referrals who don't meet this criteria. Has anyone else been advised similar?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: No period for a year or two years?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »

You could go to see your Oncologist is you take Tamoxifen [which didn't suit me at all].

Regardless of the Tamoxifen, your GP should be referring you anyway to check the lining of the womb which is a 'normal' procedure.

I would ring the Menopause Clinic as this is 'news to me'  :-\.  No one is ever too young to go into peri-menopause.

Let us know how you get on.   :welcomemm:

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:01:00 PM »

Hello Daltocat and welcome to the forum. I have heard a woman is in meno after not bleeding for 12 months. Your GP is wrong about age. I do not know why some GPs are so fixated on age as it is different for everybody. I would see a different GP as I started peri at 38 and was seen at a menopause clinic. They see women in peri as well.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 12:51:28 PM »

12 months is an arbitrary figure used by the nhs for safety as all post menopausal bleeding should be investigated as a cancer. I think the advice is that you should still use birth control for 2 years if you're under 50. As with many things after a year most women won't bleed again but some find periods (one or several) can return after the year has passed. The bit about your meno clinic only accepting post meno referrals sounds like hogwash though, more people need the referral when they're peri. I and many others have been seen in peri.

Daltocat74

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 04:20:06 PM »

Really appreciate the advice. Just back from ultrasound and they're going to do a gynae referral as there is some thickening of the womb which they said is probably just related to the tamoxifen. Just glad to be getting checked. They also said that they would be noting me as menopausal in the record notes for the GP as a gentle nudge  ;)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 05:21:08 PM »

It is great they are going to include that in your notes. :)