Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anti anxiety of depression meds and libido  (Read 1513 times)

Perinowpost

Re: Anti anxiety of depression meds and libido
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 01:24:36 AM »

Hi SarahT didn’t realise you had the mirena. They are notorious for causing depression in those who are progesterone intolerant, and in fact I had mine removed for the same reason. That said your depression sounds to be cyclical which is classic peri. Another option would be to change your prog to a sequential regime to see if you have symptoms on your days off prog.

Also anti-d’s have a cumulative effect so it’s not always possible to take them on and off, not least because of withdrawal effects. Just something to be aware of.

Let us know how you go on x

SarahT

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2023, 06:35:42 PM »

Well had a phone appt with a g.p today. First thing is that she listened and took me seriously.

Hate hate hate having to say just how severe my moods and thoughts are at times in my cycle. I almost cannot believe that our own hormones can turn on us. But she understood for me this  is cyclical, and although my moods can be up and down during the month, that is bearable and in some parts less hormonal and more to do with ' external ' life problems.

So, she has prescribed a low dose of Mirtazapine, to be taken only  the week prior to my period. Hopefully along with giving the higher dose of hrt patch more time to suppress ovulation, and therefore continue to even out the awful mood swings,  my mental health my be a lot better. Tbh,  she understood just how scared I was becoming at these out of control thoughts. I know it takes time to kick in but am in that crap week now so maybe next  month  will improve.
I am already on the waiting list for talking therapy to work on my non hormonal problems too.

Mirtazapine should save guard what is left of my libido which was a big concern. Am aware some do  increase weight on this med, and for someone who has weight and image issues this isnt ideal. So will be aware of this. It's all a compromise, and I have better chance at controlling weight if that is applicable as a side affect rather  than potentially having zero sex drive.

Thanks all do your comments and advice. I so appreciate all your honesty and advice.

Life's crap sometimes but I know the bad days so become good again and today is another way to support myself.

X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2023, 06:41:04 PM »

It is good to hear your GP was understanding. You did so well to be open and honest about how severe your mood is. I understand that was difficult for you. The mirtazapine sounds very helpful. I really hope the mirtazapine and increase in HRT kick in soon and your mood lifts.

SarahT

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 07:08:04 PM »

Thank you Flossie, along with so many, you are always so kind and caring. Xx

Losingtheplot

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 07:37:14 PM »

Hey hunni Finger crossed the new meds help you. Agree 100 percent with Flossie takes alot to be as open as you have been today with your GP. I am so pleased your GP listened too. Take care xxxx

SarahT

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 07:52:39 PM »

Ahh bless you for checking in on me sweetie, will get there in the end, am feeling better just to get today out of the way...

Hope all is still on the up for you, you deserve some good,  and you are in a more settled place with all you have been going through too 😍 xx

Losingtheplot

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2023, 03:35:13 PM »

Hi hunni
Things seem to have calmed down alot for me thanks to the HRT and other supplements I am taking. Hope it continues that way!  Xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 03:44:30 PM »

Progress?  I used to 4get how awful those PMT symptoms were!  I never forget how bad the pains were  >:(

I may have mentioned The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] for advice?  Eating regularly helped me enormously.

SarahT

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »

Had just half a 15mg tablet last night. Terrible night mostly awake. Then today have spent three hours asleep. Lost much of my day.

Am cutting to 1\4 tablet this evening which Dr said was an option. Can always build up. Today I have felt like I am crawling through mud just doing the simplest things.
May be a bit too strong for me to start with. Will persevere.

MIND has great info on severe pms and pmdd too if anyone else needs a link.

SarahT

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2023, 06:16:15 PM »

Losingthenplot

Have my fingers crossed for your continuing success. Xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2023, 06:22:31 PM »

Had just half a 15mg tablet last night. Terrible night mostly awake. Then today have spent three hours asleep. Lost much of my day.

Am cutting to 1\4 tablet this evening which Dr said was an option. Can always build up. Today I have felt like I am crawling through mud just doing the simplest things.
May be a bit too strong for me to start with. Will persevere.

MIND has great info on severe pms and pmdd too if anyone else needs a link.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad night. I think starting slowly sound like a good idea. It can take time to get used to a new medication. Often it has a sedating effect so how unfortunate it kept you awake. I hope you get a better night sleep tonight.

SarahT

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2023, 06:52:11 PM »

Yes. Typical I got it the wrong way round. So plan B tonight!

Losingtheplot

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2023, 08:59:38 PM »

Losingthenplot

Have my fingers crossed for your continuing success. Xx

Thank you hunni hope you have a better night with the tablets xxxx
Pages: 1 [2]