Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible VA - upcoming GP appt  (Read 1968 times)

Lynda07

Possible VA - upcoming GP appt
« on: March 29, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »

Hi

I posted recently about needing to wee more often and had a few replies suggesting this could be VA. Thanks for those.

I took a sample in yesterday and my GP rang me and said it was clear but asked me what issues I'd been having. I explained mainly the frequent weeing but also slightly sore and very mild, occasional pelvic pain. I mentioned the VA and she agreed it could be this; she's made me an appointment for this Friday so she can examine me/check my tummy but said she can give me something for it if its VA.

Urine sample is now also being sent off to the lab just for further checks.

It's all new to me - so - I just wondered if there were any questions I should be asking and also - would you consider treatment if your symptoms were mild - I'm tempted just to take what she offers, I'm guessing it will be cream or pessary? Or does it come with unwanted side effects?

I'd just like to go to my appointment with a bit more knowledge so thanks for any replies.

Flossieteacake

Re: Possible VA - upcoming GP appt
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 11:18:31 AM »

The thing about VA is, if it is not treated then it gets worse. I would definitely start treatment now to prevent it from getting worse. Some members use a pessary for the inside and cream for the outer area but sadly many GPs will not prescribe this. It is really up to you if you wish to try a pessary or a cream. The good thing about a cream is it can be applied all over but it is very individual. At first it can sting but this is due to the skin being tender. Once the skin improves then there should not be any side effects.

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 11:24:54 AM »

Thanks so much Flossieteacake, that's very helpful.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »

Thanks so much Flossieteacake, that's very helpful.

My pleasure. :)

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 11:35:18 AM »

If you go to the menu, blue box right hand corner, then Treatments, HR preps, vaginal treatments, it will give you the list of meds to choose from.
I have Vagifem for internal and Ovestin for external or internal but both work alone too.

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 11:58:14 AM »

I had no idea about that search feature Dierdre - thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 12:30:08 PM »

If your GP seems reluctant to prescribe 'too much', then suggest that she contacts Dr Currie who runs this Forum, for clearance.  I use 'ovestin', delivered in a syringe-type applicator so I can smear it round the labia if required.

Some find that 'vagifem' pessaries less messy so if necessary, use 'ovestin' around the other labia or other moisturisers, i.e. Yes or Slyc products. 

When I get the need2P symptoms I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day until the nip stops.  [I may have said already  :-\]

Let us know how you get on.

Lynda07

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »

Thank you CLKD.

I think my GP is actually aware of this forum and she is very good and very thorough so hopefully I'll be sorted on Friday.

I was pleased she is sending my sample to "the lab" after reading previous comments of yours saying this should be done.

I will let you know how I get on and thanks again for replying.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 01:04:06 PM »

You're so lucky you are getting in early with treatment for VA, I hadn't a clue what was happening to me and I had progressed to the chronic stage, and believe me you don't want to go there!

Don't do what I did at your appointment, it's ok doctor I will try a moisturiser first! Grab whatever treatment she offers and if you need extra, you now have the opportunity to buy treatment over the counter.

Don't let Vaginal Atrophy take over your life, nip it in the bud!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 01:11:27 PM »

Gina from Boots is for via a Pharmacist 4 ladies over 55 who haven't had a period for 12 months so the advert on TV is misleading.

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »

Gina is for ladies over 50. Ovestin can easily be obtained via Superdrug Online Pharmacy.

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 01:30:14 PM »

Ayesha, thank you so much for replying. I'm really sorry to hear you've suffered as it sounds like you have.

This is exactly why I posted, for advice like this. My GP was lovely when she rang with my sample results and literally invited me in. )Actually we are really very fortunate with our surgery, they are fantastic).

Thanks for the Gina advice too.

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 01:35:23 PM »

Great you are being listened to, do let us know how you get on!  :)

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 01:43:14 PM »

I will do Ayesha.

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 04:39:01 PM »

Hi again

I saw my GP today, she examined me and has prescribed  Vagifem and I’m to go back in 4 weeks.

Out of interest-does anyone have any success with non hormonal treatment for VA -  does such a thing exist?

Lynda
Pages: [1] 2