Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Too many vitamins?  (Read 1029 times)

Pollydollydoodle

Too many vitamins?
« on: March 27, 2023, 11:01:43 AM »

Hi all, happy Monday.
Is it possible to take “too many” vitamins in addition to HRT??
I take collagen (for healthy skin, nails and hair) magnesium (in hope it helps me sleep) and Menopace as a general multi vitamin.
Not sure if they actually do me any good and wondering if I’m just wasting my money. Px

Flossieteacake

Re: Too many vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 11:04:04 AM »

What I feel is multivitamins are not worth taking as they may not contain enough of each vitamin that is needed.

I think you taking magnesium and collegan is not too much. I take many more vitamins and supplements. 🙂

Pollydollydoodle

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:10:14 AM »

Good point. What else do you take flossieteacake?

No idea why my post has posted multiple times 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️ sorry folks can’t seem to delete the duplicates. Px

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:19:01 AM »

There seems to be a glitch with the forum. Do not worry it is not your fault.

I take iron, B12, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium, Seabuckthorn, and Vitamin D.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »

Recently it was suggested by a Gastro-bod [can't remember his exact speciality], that we don't need vitamins if our diets are full of fruits, veg. etc.: other than VitD supplements.

VitB12 can be dangerous if taken with other prescribed medications.

HelloSam666

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 12:58:29 PM »

I take Sea Buckhorn (dry eyes, works brilliantly) along with magnesium, B12, calcium, iron, vitamin D, starflower and Zinc. I also use GABA for sleep which is helping me so much. I use OTC estradiol/estriol cream and progesterone cream. This regime works well for me.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »

Recently it was suggested by a Gastro-bod [can't remember his exact speciality], that we don't need vitamins if our diets are full of fruits, veg. etc.: other than VitD supplements.

I need B12 as I am a vegetarian. :)

HellsBells

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 01:18:55 PM »

Depends on the brand and dose of the vitamins. I would research maintenance doses and therapeutic doses and be clear about what you are taking.

If you're on HRT I would say you don't need the collagen. The others I would continue depending on the above considerations.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 02:00:15 PM »

Those experts are full of useful information aren't they!
That’s all ok advice if you are someone who can eat a balanced diet full of fruit and vege, but throw in the aging process where you can find yourself needing supplements because of not absorbing some vitamins and minerals through food alone.

Speaking as someone who never even took a paracetamol a few years ago, I now take vitamin supplements because my body was crying out for them after a digestive problem I suffered through the aging process.

Multivitamins are a waste of money, you have to do your research and find what you think you might need and buy them individually.  I take B12, VD3, Probiotics, Zinc and plant sterols.

laszla

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »

I take Sea Buckhorn (dry eyes, works brilliantly) along with magnesium, B12, calcium, iron, vitamin D, starflower and Zinc. I also use GABA for sleep which is helping me so much. I use OTC estradiol/estriol cream and progesterone cream. This regime works well for me.
What GABA product do you use, I would love a recommendation as I've been wanting to try this?
Thanks

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »

Veggie here too for 30 years and get this, I was told by my Dr to stop with the b12 supplement as I had very high levels of it,so obviously I was getting enough of it from my diet x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 05:09:21 PM »

Veggie here too for 30 years and get this, I was told by my Dr to stop with the b12 supplement as I had very high levels of it,so obviously I was getting enough of it from my diet x

It is great you get enough B12 from your diet. :)