Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT  (Read 920 times)

ssparkes

• First Flush
Stopping HRT
« on: March 14, 2023, 12:36:41 PM »

Has anyone stopped taking HRT after less than 6 months? I want to stop as I don’t feel it’s working for me and want to know if the withdrawals after this period are bad?

Flossieteacake

Re: Stopping HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:39:13 PM »

Hello Sparkles and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few threads on here about members who have stopped taking HRT. If it were me, I would just stop.

Just to let you know, it can take time to find a HRT that suits and often the first few we try may not be suitable.  :)

ssparkes

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 01:08:34 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply.  I was dealing with everything well - hot flushes and night sweats had stopped and it was just painful joints that I was suffering from.  I assumed this was menopause related and discussed it with my GP who advised giving HRT a try - tablet and gel - however since beginning HRT my joint pain has  actually worsened and I have felt no other benefit from being on it at all - my mum had breast cancer too so there are risks for me and as the benefits are not outweighing the risks I just feel I’d rather go back to how I was - I’m scared that I’ve messed all my hormones up now and I won’t get back to how I was before -I’ve halved my gel and am taking my tablet every other night to try and wean off a bit but wonder if I would be ok to just stop altogether or whether that would make things worse? I honestly don’t know what I’m doing?? 🤷🏼‍♀️😳🥺xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 01:22:04 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply.  I was dealing with everything well - hot flushes and night sweats had stopped and it was just painful joints that I was suffering from.  I assumed this was menopause related and discussed it with my GP who advised giving HRT a try - tablet and gel - however since beginning HRT my joint pain has  actually worsened and I have felt no other benefit from being on it at all - my mum had breast cancer too so there are risks for me and as the benefits are not outweighing the risks I just feel I’d rather go back to how I was - I’m scared that I’ve messed all my hormones up now and I won’t get back to how I was before -I’ve halved my gel and am taking my tablet every other night to try and wean off a bit but wonder if I would be ok to just stop altogether or whether that would make things worse? I honestly don’t know what I’m doing?? 🤷🏼‍♀️😳🥺xx

I understand. Often tablets are not well tolerated as patches and gel. I would just stop it if it were me. You may find the meno symptoms return but this will be if the HRT was helping to control them.

IceLolly

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:57:57 PM »

Hello 👋🏻 I was on Evorel sequi for a year. It boosted my mood when I was borderline suicidal but after about 4 months, made me feel worse. Periods were hell, 12 day cycles, lots of pain, sciatica, very sore lower back. Turns out, I had a polyp, which I had surgery for this week. But a couple of months ago I stopped HRT and have felt Soo much better. I had 6 night sweats for two weeks but nothing since. And cycles are stretching out now whereas the HRT hadn't allowed that. To get rid of the sciatica I take Ancient and Brave collagen, like Davina recommends....and I haven't felt this good for about 8 years. I'm still tired now and again but I actually see some light at the end of the tunnel now, which is amazing. I can also now run 5k 3x a week. HRT helps some but don't be afraid to stop. I cut my patches in half and then just stopped. Good luck. Xx

Peanut31

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 04:33:36 PM »

Hi

I started HRT back in June 22 and at the beginning of Feb 23, I stopped.

I just didn’t feel well on it, I dreaded taking the progesterone as my slept was terrible, I had painful boobs which increased in size along with weight gain. My emotions were up and down and the deciding factor of stopping, was when I started to get really dark thoughts and had what I presume was a panic attack (something I have not experienced before)

I just couldn’t seem to get negative thoughts out of my head.

The only symptom I had was I got very spotty on my forehead and face.

I did email Dr Currie and it maybe I was on to much oestrogen, as I’m peri menopausal so may not need as much oestrogen.

At the moment I seem to be ok, not perfect but better than I was on HRT.

My clinic encouraged me to increase my oestrogen which I did, but, it was awful.

Best wishes

Tisiphone

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 11:12:30 AM »

I stopped HRT just before Christmas after nearly 8 months of sheer hell on it. I think the issues which my GP identified as 'probably perimenopause' were more likely Long Covid.

My GP advised that all the effects of the HRT would disappear within days of stopping taking it, but in fact it was more like 2/3 months before periods and emotions had settled back down and for the brain fog to wear off - I can hardly remember parts of last summer.

I don't think it makes any difference if you wean yourself off or just stop (I tried both), but give yourself a good couple of months for your body to readjust before you take stock of your situation.

Hope it goes well for you