Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: At a loss  (Read 834 times)

ToriiJ

At a loss
« on: March 29, 2023, 10:44:28 AM »

Hi ladies, although I rarely post I am a regular reader and have got so much help and reassurance through just reading this forum.

Depression is hitting me hard again. It really does feel hormonal as it just suddenly washes over me and stays with me for around 2 weeks. I tend to level out again for another couple of weeks and then it comes again. I’m just at a loss of what to do. I’m 50 and been on HRT (various Evorel patches) for almost a year now and still don’t think I’ve found the correct dose.

My main symptom is severe depression. I can cope with the occasional night sweats and other minor symptoms, but my drop in mood feels unbearable. I’m convinced I am low on oestrogen, my doctors are useless and I don’t even bother to make appointments with them now as it was apparent I knew more about the menopause and hrt than them. I haven’t had oestrogen levels tested as I know they aren’t totally reliable.

I am on Evorel 75 patches at the moment and I have also been adding one pump of oestrogel at night but I just feel I’m resistant to everything as nothing is having an affect. I don’t know whether to try just gel instead or different patches. I am on anti depressants and have been for years, I have never really felt they have helped either.

Anyway, thank you for reading. I just want to see some light at the end of this very dark long tunnel.

Flossieteacake

Re: At a loss
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with depression. Just to say, GPs can prescribe up to 100 oestrogen patch so if more is needed then it should not be a problem. I think some of us need more oestrogen then others and if you do need more then that is okay.

As your GP does not seem knowledgeable about meno you can ask them to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic. At least this way you will be able to talk to somebody who understands.

If you feel okay on the patches then you could try increasing them before you use gel.

With antidepressant's not being helpful, do you think this is because the depression has always been hormonal related?

ToriiJ

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 11:45:42 AM »

Hi Flossieteacake, thank you so much for replying.

I did think about upping the patch to 100, I’m just dithering about everything and wanting to find a quick solution but not knowing what to do and then doing nothing!

It’s funny you say that about anti depressants as I was thinking this is probably why they have never helped. My GP has never suggested this it’s just all through reading online.

I think I may ask if they can refer me although I suspect it could take a while.

Thanks again

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 11:57:24 AM »

Hello Tori,
I too spent some time just reading this forum, like my nose pressed up against a shop window, before feeling at the end of my tether, and virtually begged for help and support from those on here. And I keep getting those crucial and supportive messages back.

I am quite new to hrt, but I have always had horrific mood swings and depression that worsened with every period. My mood were 100% cyclical.
Just prior to starting hrt I was on sertraline, an anti depressant and had CBT, these helped me. I took myself off the AD, with my doctors agreement, as I knew my cycle was the main cause.
Knowing that my mood swings are definitely cyclical, and being peri, I have begun a diary to monitor my moods, just to see if they are still affected by my cycle,some sort of pattern. . Although I am on estradot 75 and the mirena coil, I did have a small week-long bleed last month and my emotions and moods were all over the place. I think my own hormonal crashes then clash with the hormonal hrt at times causing a worse imbalance.

As Flossie, asks, have your moods always been hormone related? Maybe try a diary to see if a pattern emerges?

I hope others can help, depression and mood swings for me are also the worse symptoms to work with.
S x

ToriiJ

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »

Hi Sarah, thank you for your message.
Sorry to hear you have had this horrible depression, sounds like you are finding the right balance so hope it continues for you.

I am on Sertraline 150mg so quite a high dose, my GP suggested trying a different AD but I just don’t want to go down that route. That makes a lot of sense what you say about hormonal crashes that clash with the hrt, this does sound like me.

I did suffer with bad PMS too. When I feel like this I can only just about function by doing the bare minimum and I can’t keep going through this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 12:37:51 PM »

My depression 4 which I have taken medication since 1989 is different to that which hit me in the 24 hours B4 a bleed, even when a period wasn't due.  Medics tend to slam all 'depression' together as 1 illness. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

ToriiJ

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 12:46:45 PM »

Thanks CLKD you are so right. Not one of the GPs has questioned me about my depression, they just see it that I’m depressed and give me ADs. I’ve learnt so much by reading online and through this forum.

I do journal everyday which helps but I think I need to keep a better track of symptoms and when and how they occur.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  Once VA is under control, you will feel a lot better.

laszla

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 12:58:58 PM »

I would urge you to get your estrogen levels tested. I have found testing invaluable in managing my hormonal depression. I have trouble absorbing despite taking high amounts of E2 (4-5 pumps) and when I feel particularly down and then test invariably my blood levels are especially low and being able to identify the connection is reassuring and empowering in a way. My consultant advises that for hormonal depression I may need to achieve estradiol blood levels of up to 600-800pmol.
If you're mostly dependent on hrt for hormones then testing is reliable and a very useful tool.

ToriiJ

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 06:06:29 PM »

Thank you laszla for your reply. Since I have no faith in my GP I have just ordered an oestrogen test online, the turnaround is quick. I think you’re right, having some idea of my levels will help me figure out what to do next.

Thanks again all.

laszla

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 06:10:51 PM »

Torii remember not to take your HRT on the day you test, all the best

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 06:43:57 PM »

And using gel can contaminate a finger **** test, it's more reliable to use a venous draw.

laszla

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 06:48:31 PM »

And using gel can contaminate a finger **** test, it's more reliable to use a venous draw.
yes, very important

ToriiJ

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »

Great I will bear that in mind. Thank you all for your advice