Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem frequency and side effects  (Read 691 times)

Patchsmama

Vagifem frequency and side effects
« on: March 25, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »

Hello everyone.

I’m sure this has been asked numerous times but here I go. Been on Vagifem for VA twice a week for around 2 years, it’s been a godsend. My symptoms are always like a UTI, never actually feel dry.

Previously I had a breakthrough episode and it resolved with increasing Vagifem to 3 times per week on GP’s instructions. I then decreased back to 2 per week.

Last week the symptoms started again. I increased to 3 per week but still having symptoms at the minute which makes me miserable and increases my health anxiety.

I’m a bit worried about increasing further, though I know some ladies take daily. 8 years ago I had a TAH & BSO  due to borderline ovarian cyst and it’s still often at the back of my mind.

Do you think it’ll take a while for the increase to 3 per week to work (I can’t remember from previous) ?  I’ve tried Yes moisturiser but it doesn’t make much difference.

Thanks so much xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem frequency and side effects
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 10:45:44 AM »

Use every night for at least a week.  The active ingredient is small, Quality of Life is important.  Some require nightly 'vagifem' for a long time, as well as applying a moisturiser on the outer labia.  3 per week might not work as there is a gap between each insertion which won't increase the necessary oestrogen replacement.

Yes etc. won't help the internal area.  Put a pessary up this afternoon to begin treatment and another late to night, then every night - when I get the need2P sensations, I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip as the urine flow stops. 

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 10:53:33 AM »

I would definately do a reload, everynight for 2 weeks then you should be able to go back to your maintenance dose. That may now be 3 a week as your oestrogen levels do decline but that is still a very small dosage. The more hydrated and plumped up the vaginal walls are the less estrogen goes systemic if any.

Tinx

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:49:44 AM »

Hi Patchsmama

I used to use Vagifem but never had enough to last for the period they prescribed and there’s a block on ordering more before the date given. It’s a nuisance. Anyway, I gave them up and just use the Evorel patch. I find them better but still need a lubricant as vaginal soreness is a problem as is need2wee a lot (sometimes I barely make it to the loo). According to my previous doctor I have some labia fusion so I try to moisturise to keep everything soft.

Wish I’d read this before I gave up the vagifem as I didn’t realise I could ‘reload’ daily to ease symptoms before dropping to normal doses.

Apparently, there is a drug to help with incontinence but I don’t fancy more pills.

Patchsmama

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 12:45:27 PM »

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply, offer advice and share your experiences. It’s a bit of a nightmare isn’t it and very depressing.

I’ll use another Vagifem tonight I think and see what happens.  Really annoying when you think you’re on top of symptoms then they gradually creep in again.  :'(

I’ve just started a new pack so okay for supplies at the moment. I really wish GP’s were more educated on it. My GP has not long retired and seems to have been replaced by someone whose main objective in life seems to be to fob you off with any old response and get you out of his office as quickly as possible. I find the fact that he doesn’t wear socks with office shoes very annoying too  ;D

Thanks again ladies, I’m so grateful for this forum xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 01:46:31 PM »

Whereas my GP gives me enough for months  ::) although he did diagnose my symptom.

Ring your Practice Manager/s next week and explain that, despite what it directed in the leaflets, it is OK to use nightly.  If necessary she can contact Dr Louise Newson's Clinic for advice ;-).  Let us know how you get on.