Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Painful lump on breast  (Read 1572 times)

Bees74

• First Flush
Painful lump on breast
« on: March 21, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »

Hi I am Bees74 , I am 48 years old and has started menopause almost 6 months back. Last week, I realised pain in my right breast and when I touch I can feel like a big lump . It is very painful and gets more pain If I wear bra. I called my GP for an appointment but as usual , they gave me appointment for next week. I am too much worried and cannot sleep because of this . Any suggestions , if this is normal during menopause or Shall I go to A&E?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Painful lump on breast
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »

What ever it might be, a few days won't matter in general.  Of course it's a worry.  Stop poking it! 

Where abouts is the lump?  It could be fatty tissue or a muscle. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 02:42:52 PM »

The 'nasties' (like cancer) usually sneak up on you without pain. If the lump is large and has appeared rapidly it's more likely to be a cyst. Is it on the surface (infected hair follicle?) or deeper inside?

Bees74

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:06:10 PM »

Thank you so much for your response @CLKD and @ sheila99 , Basically it is on my right breast and it is on the bottom corner (Left side) not deep  , there is no infection anywhere .

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 04:34:18 PM »

I've had breast cancer and breast cysts - on the whole pain is your friend here. The cysts were all painful but the cancer was not. Either way not appropriate for A&E as it will not be immediately life threatening.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 05:25:13 PM »

Hi

I was referred for a mammogram and scan due to pain in my armpit.  I had a cyst, but in my right breast, so the opposite side.  It's deep in there, I can't feel it.

I was told at the mammogram that cysts are very common, before menopause, and the vast amount of referrals to them are cysts.

I know it's worrying, I have heard that cancer is painless lumps, so that is a good sign that yours is painful, can you not get a same day urgent appointment at your doctors, rather than waiting for the next routine one?

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:41:14 PM »

Just for perspective I had a huge lump in my right breast which, if you touched it, it was slightly pyramid shaped and really hard.  I was convinced it was something awful.  The doctor put the ultrasound on it and immediately said it's a large cyst.  I could not believe it. 

It went away about 6 months later. 

These things worry us and it's natural but there are more things than we realise that these lumps can be, and most of them are harmless.  And even with BC, there is at least one version that they debate whether it should even be called BC because it behaves in a benign fashion, or extremely slow for a large number of women.  I had one lump removed, it was benign, but it means I've read loads.  Having said that, I'll worry every time, it's natural. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 10:00:56 AM »

How is the 'lump' now?  What about your holiday?