Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello! New with questions about sex, bleeding and hormone control  (Read 1367 times)

WishIdknownsooner

Hey lovely people

I’ve been lurking here for many months and feel I could benefit from your advice in case there’s a solution I haven’t thought of. GP isn’t helpful…

Basically my problem is erratic periods, which is a problem only because I have a new partner and would like predictable intimacy. Weekends away and all the fun that goes with ;-)

I’m 43, peri meno for 4 ish years, overweight, well controlled hypertension, PCOS and an ex smoker…

I’ve been on 2 pumps oestrogel and 14 days 200mg rectal cyclogest for only a couple of months. This was because of anovulatory cycles, brain fog, hot flushes, insomnia etc. I’m feeling the benefits in terms of mood, sleep, happier nether regions (in hindsight I was suffering with some mild VA and didn’t realise). I’m happy as this has been the only type of progesterone I’ve ever tolerated outside of the combined pill when I was younger. I’m actually wary of trying utrogestan when it comes back in stock as I’m getting on so well with the rectal suppositories (rectal to stop condom degradation).

I appreciate HRT isn’t going to stop my body’s natural wonky cycles (ranging from 21 days to 60 days)
but I just want to know when I will bleed so I can make plans.

I obviously can’t take the combined pill because of being fat with hypertention, I never got on with the mini pill, depo injection or any synthetic progesterone. I’ve heard the mirena can take months to control irregular bleeding, and may never stop it in obese women. And yes… obviously I’ve tried losing weight :’-(

Am I out of options? Will HRT ever take over my natural cycle? Contraception is not needed. I just want a regular bleed pattern.

First month of HRT produced a bleed that lasted 21 days! Although I wasn’t surprised as I hadn’t had a period the month before, so I figured there was a lot to come out. After the next round of progesterone, I did not bleed at all as I guess the previous 21 bleed killed it. I’m currently on day 5 of my third round of cyclogest and period has just started  :-( Should I continue to take the cyclogest, even though I’m bleeding heavily?

I’m sorry for the long post and TMI, but I know you ladies are experienced in all this stuff and more information is helpful to give advice. Thank you so much x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello! New with questions about sex, bleeding and hormone control
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 10:36:21 AM »

How were your periods over the years?  Mine were regular: every 32-34 days with heavy, excruciatinly painful bleeds  :'(. The Pill eased the pain.

As we go into peri periods will wax and wane.   I always knew when a bleed would begin even when a period wasn't due.

If you are having periods you will need contraception.  Unless you are using The Pill. 

Hopefully some1 with knowledge of your HRT regime will be along with sensible advice.

:welcomemm:

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »

Thank you CLKD.

Periods were always very regular. 28 days before children, 26 days after having children.

No contraception needed due to vasectomy, but I’m not averse to taking it if it could help.

It’s just that because of being fat, in 40s, hypertensive and an ex smoker, I don’t think I can take anything with oestrogen and progesterone only is not a route I’m willing to go down again…
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 10:48:40 AM by WishIdknownsooner »

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 11:33:43 AM »

A mirena should stop you bleeding when you're peri and is the only hrt to do so. Apart from that you can wait til you're close enough to meno that a conti regime might keep you mostly bleed free. My own hormones were always dtronger than hrt so bled according to my cycle. Sorry it doesn't solve your problem.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 12:00:06 PM »

Hi.  When was the vasectomy and R U aware that it can regrow ;-).

What support are you getting for your weight gain?  Is there a dietician to give advice at your surgery or local leisure centre?  I know that I should exercise more  >:( but can't be bothered other than working in our garden  ::)

MayB reassess what you eat every day?  My MinL lost weight by keeping to a strict set of foods: every evening she would weigh out for example, butter - her allowance for the next day, on a saucer.  When the saucer was empty, that was it for the day.  Cheese, jam, chutney etc., all weighed.  It worked and she was able to keep the weight even.

WishIdknownsooner

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »

Thank you but I have been down the dietitian route and eat an excellent diet. Loads of veggies, fish, nothing ultra processed, etc etc. Honestly, my diet does not concern me. The PCOS and insulin resistance and probably linked in with it all, but my blood work and HBA1C are excellent.

I’m happy to risk the vasectomy ;-) my daughter was an IUD baby, so I know nothing is fail safe! I’m happy with condoms given I barely ovulate these days

I think the mirena may be the only way to go, but I’m so reluctant as I’m thrilled with how I feel on cyclogest. All other progesterones made me want to die for one reason or another.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 12:25:27 PM »

Sounds common sadly, many do not cope with progesterone  :-\