Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New and Anxious !  (Read 1446 times)

Anxiety Annie

New and Anxious !
« on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:44 PM »

Good afternoon all, thank you for accepting me to your group.   I am 55, last had a period about 5 years ago, to be honest, I thought that I had sailed through menopause with no real issues.

For the last few months I have been so stressed and anxious, crying numerous times a day for no real reason.   Nothing seems to shake it off.  I am active playing golf several times a week. 

It wasn't till I had a conversation with an older family member (58)  that realised she had the same symptoms as me.   She went to her GP who prescribed HRT, she has never looked back,  I contacted my GP yesterday and will be having a phone consultation next week.

As I stated earlier I can be EXTREMELY anxious and stressed.  One of by biggest worries is driving, I used to drive all the time (live rurally) with no worries at all. 
I have 2 main questions,  what will the Dr ask or should I be prepared to answer during my consultation and has anyone else had driving anxietries? 

Flossieteacake

Re: New and Anxious !
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Anxiety is so common during meno so please do not feel alone there. I have also seen many threads on here about people who are anxious to drive. You may like to search for such threads in the search bar.

Trying HRT is a great idea. If it were me I would just explain what you have written here. You are feeling anxious and feel it is hormonal and would like to try HRT. Do you have any symptoms other then these ones because it is very common to also have vaginal atrophy and it would be worth asking for localised oestrogen along with the HRT.

You have found a supportive and welcoming forum. :)

Anxiety Annie

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:49:39 PM »

Thank you for responding, I will have a search for driving anxiety as you have suggested.   

I  can get very hot at night, wouldn't describe as  flushes but very hot, sweaty and clammy , Duvet off and legs sticking out of bed.  I did several month ago have a terrible time sleeping and getting to sleep.  Anxiety is my biggest issue

This is a wonderful site and will be recommending to my family member who is struggling too.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »

You could be getting hot flushes so HRT will be really helpful.

Great idea to get your family member to join too. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:23:02 PM »

Tell your GP that you are getting hot flushes, he/she will be more likely to prescribe HRT ;-).  Many still believe that stopping of periods and hot flushes are the main symptoms of menopause  ::)

Make a list - write down what you have told us.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to keep a chart.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and any threads relating to vaginal atrophy, which needs a different type of 'HRT' to other symptoms.  This can be prescribed without an exam or blood tests.

:welcomemm:  let us know how you get on.  Anxiety can become troublesome in peri/menopause so if you feel it necessary, ask for a dedicated medication.  We have lots of threads about most topics  ;)