Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: vertigo!! is there such a thing as to much oestrogen?  (Read 2799 times)

Applestar75

• First Flush
vertigo!! is there such a thing as to much oestrogen?
« on: March 21, 2023, 11:12:18 AM »

Morning Everyone

Thursday my nurse upped my oestrogel from 2 pumps a day to 3 pumps a day after 8 weeks because my anxiety was through the roof I couldn't stop crying, hair loss ,no concentration ,headache, very dizzy(vertigo)  I'd hit my car on a bollard and ran a red light where I was distracted by a cyclist (not an excuse) I was in a mess. she said I needed an increase even though I said it feels like my symptoms have gotten worse since starting the gel and I constantly feel as if I'm about to start my period I was concerned I was already on to much, she said I don't think you can ever have to much oestrogen but that's just my opinion.

within an hour I felt so calm and come Sunday the vertigo had almost gone that was until yesterday evening the headache has returned and while driving the vertigo came back I've had a dreadful nights sleep where I've woken with a start gasping for breath. I don't want to drive anywhere as I'm unsteady on my feet and don't feel confident.

in some ways the increase has helped but I can't help wondering if it is to much she has prescribed patches but nowhere has them in stock so for now I'm stuck with the gel.

has anyone else had anything similar.

thank you.

HellsBells

Re: vertigo!! is there such a thing as to much oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:18:58 AM »

I tried that gel years ago and found it overpowering and got vertigo. I gave up very quickly and didn't stick with it (but I'm a bit of a wimp). 3 pumps is a high dose.

Applestar75

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:32:41 AM »

Thank you for replying
 this is my 2nd go at it gave up the first time but I was on the progestogen capsules as well and shouldn't of been as I have a coil wondering if I need a lower dose of the patch she has prescribed no

don't know what's worse sitting indoors by myself with rage or because of vertigo  :(

don't think your a wimp this is horrible

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 03:09:54 PM »

There definitely are symptoms from too much oestrogen and many of them (such as anxiety) are very similar to symptoms of oestrogen deficiency. The general rule of thumb is to start low and increase slowly. They say you should try it for 3 months before changing. Vertigo can be caused by inner ear problems too. When I started hrt it took 3 months for my anxiety to go.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:40:20 PM »

Applestar, I'm on patches, and have lowered my dose.  I was getting dreadful vertigo and postural hypotension.  I would get out of my car, stand up to go into a shop, walk a few metres and then feel so spaced out, like my heart was malfunctioning and dizzy.  Often I went back to the car and didn't bother with the shop.

The doctor did a blood test and my oestrogen levels were too high even for an ovulating 30 year old.  I've lowered the dose and feel almost normal again, not quite yet, it might be that I have to lower a bit more but I'm not disabled now, and I was!  Also I find the progesterone patches that I have halfway through the cycle make me feel well.

I know you're on a different regime but this might help for seeing a pattern.  Disagree with the nurse, I think you can have too much oestrogen, but she probably meant well and not literally.

Applestar75

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 10:22:41 AM »

Applestar, I'm on patches, and have lowered my dose.  I was getting dreadful vertigo and postural hypotension.  I would get out of my car, stand up to go into a shop, walk a few metres and then feel so spaced out, like my heart was malfunctioning and dizzy.  Often I went back to the car and didn't bother with the shop.

The doctor did a blood test and my oestrogen levels were too high even for an ovulating 30 year old.  I've lowered the dose and feel almost normal again, not quite yet, it might be that I have to lower a bit more but I'm not disabled now, and I was!  Also I find the progesterone patches that I have halfway through the cycle make me feel well.

I know you're on a different regime but this might help for seeing a pattern.  Disagree with the nurse, I think you can have too much oestrogen, but she probably meant well and not literally.

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »

Yes. My perimenopause started with extreme vertigo.

I wasn't on any estrogen - my own estrogen goes sooo high it dues this to me.

Are u peri??? I was given hrt a few years back. 1 week on estrogen alone and that's when I realised my problem was too ouch estrogen, not too little. Try finding someone on the NHS that believes in this though...

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 08:21:59 PM »

Yes oh gosh yes - if my oestrogen dose is too high for  me I feel really dizzy, lightheaded and definite vertigo.  I was much worse on the gel but have improved since being on patches. xx Hope so much you feel better soon :)

Applestar75

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 07:30:25 AM »

Thank you

The dr I spoke to on Wednesday is adamant I'm experiencing vertigo in its on form and nothing to do with gel has prescribed tablets for vertigo and to go back in a week

saying that I collected my patches yesterday and I've applied one this morning same strength as 3 pumps of gel but fingers crossed this has a different effect

I will be persistent with my gp surgery

Floo36

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 07:39:10 AM »

Apple star those symptoms are definitely low Estrogen symptoms for me and are known as menopause symptoms.  It may be that you don’t absorb much from the gel or not on enough yet. It takes time to work out what is happening to us especially when new symptoms start on hrt.  If you are peri then Estrogen bloods are not much use because we spike and fluctuate so much, especially late peri.