Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood pressure advice please - Amlodipine  (Read 925 times)

CherryC

Blood pressure advice please - Amlodipine
« on: March 19, 2023, 09:01:36 AM »

Morning - my blood pressure has been on the high side of late but was told a few months ago just lifestyle changes (though I'm pretty good on the whole).
This week my blood pressure soared and I have been given Amlodipine 5mg to get it down (and I imagine to continue).  I have only been on it 4 days so far and feel a bit shaky - I assume this may settle down?
Anyone else on Amlodipine and get on ok with it? Any side effects?
Thanks. x
On hrt patch and Utrogestan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Blood pressure advice please - Amlodipine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 09:24:25 AM »

Morning.  Where was the blood pressure taken?  If in a surgery it is common for BP to rise, due to White Coat Syndrome. 

CherryC

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:40:47 AM »

I took it several times at home (195/117) and then again at the surgery it had come down a bit but was still very high...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:40:25 AM »

Were you given dietary and exercise advice ?  Surely U were told how long you would need to take 'amlodipine'?  :-\

How do U feel overall?

CherryC

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »

I had been given lifestyle advice on a previous appointment with a nurse but being given Amlodipine last week was to get the extremely high blood pressure down immediately.  I have to take blood pressure twice a day for a week and then go back for further appointment.  Not been feeling great in general lately but I am also having various tests done requested by GOP to check everything else,

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 06:25:13 PM »

That is very high.  Mine is usually 170/110 and Dr.'s always have a meltdown.  My NP isn't all that concerned as it is genetic so little can be done re:  diet.  I am on ACE inhibitors and was on Beta blockers as well but the ACE inhibitors are keeping it around 165/100.  I am of the belief that as we age, our BP soars.  Most of the people I know all have high BP so maybe the medical community needs to reevaluate the readings and adjust accordingly. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:43 AM »

I was prescribed Amlodipine last year but only lasted two days as made my legs swell and got a horrendous headache and palpitations so GP switched me to Candesartan. I have had a few side effects with that everytime dose has been increased but then after about 10 days they go. Hopefully the shaky feelings you are getting will settle when you get used to the Amlodipine.

CherryC

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 08:41:48 AM »

Thank you all for your replies -  I hope these symptoms settle or I will have to change to a different one, but don't like being on them at all!! Time will tell!