Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy  (Read 736 times)

Slinks27

Hysteroscopy
« on: March 20, 2023, 05:30:17 PM »

Anybody had one these? Wondering what to expect and feeling very nervous. Thankyou

canadagirl

Re: Hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 05:39:50 PM »

Yeah I've had one - super easy.  Very little, if any, recovery time.  It was no more of a process than a standard pelvic exam.  Easy peasy.  At least mine was...

Suziemc

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:38:28 PM »

I had one a couple of months back and, like Canada girl, had a relatively easy experience. Process wise, it's very similar to having a smear whereby you strip off bottom half and lie on a bed with knees up. Sonographer (? I might very well have the wrong professional there but the very nice lady who carried out the process!!) gently inserts what feels like a soft slim conical object into your vagina, wiggles it around a bit and takes screen grabs of what she is seeing. The lady who carried mine out was wonderfully gentle and explained what she was doing.

I had been very nervous as I have vaginal atrophy and lichen sclerosis so am pretty tender all around my vulval/vaginal area but she clearly knew what she was doing (of course!!) It was a little bit uncomfortable but not as unpleasant as a smear is these days!

Please try not to worry, I know we all do! I hope you have as good an experience as me x

jorainbow

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 01:14:27 AM »

Hysteroscopy or scan? Suziemc that sounds like a transfer vaginal scan? A hysteroscopy goes into the womb. I've had three now (the third yesterday) and I have mine under general. They can be done in clinic but I opted not to. If hysterosvopy they can range from easy to painful depending on your tolerance levels. Take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand. You should get a full leaflet explaining everything. Xx

rozanne99

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 01:44:25 AM »

Yes.  I had it under sedation as had a biopsy and Mirena fitted too.  Didn’t know anything about it and no real bleeding afterwards either.

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 05:26:13 AM »

Hysteroscopy or scan? Suziemc that sounds like a transfer vaginal scan? A hysteroscopy goes into the womb. I've had three now (the third yesterday) and I have mine under general. They can be done in clinic but I opted not to. If hysterosvopy they can range from easy to painful depending on your tolerance levels. Take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand. You should get a full leaflet explaining everything. Xx
Arrrgghh....sorry, you are completely right, that was the scan that I described. Brain fog? What brain fog???

I also had a hysteroscopy, biopsy and a Mirena coil fitted as a result of that scan.  That procedure was also far simpler and less painful than I'd imagined it would be. I was advised to take paracetamol and ibuprofen two hours before and then had local anaesthetic which was less painful than one at the dentist! The procedure was a  little uncomfortable but the Dr and her nursing team were wonderful and chatted with me the whole way through to take my mind off it.

I was very fortunate the whole way through the process, with wonderful, gentle and caring NHS staff at every stage. I hope you are too, Slinks27.