Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Painful joints  (Read 2168 times)

Bluenose

Painful joints
« on: March 20, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »

Hi I've not been on here for a while, I took hrt a couple of years ago for about 6 months but stopped as I found a breast lump which fortunately was only tissue, my night sweats never returned so I stayed off it, I'm now wondering about my joint and general aches and pains, I'm overweight which I'm trying to sort albeit slowly but I'm like an old woman, I walk the dogs for an hour or so in the morning and then my legs hurt when I try to walk around, hip and thigh joints make stairs difficult to walk up properly and I'm wondering if HRT would help this at all, I went to the doctor recently to get Gina put on prescription and told him about these issues and that I felt i needed to have a bath in Voltarol and he just said you are only 55, no help at all!

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Painful joints
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »

Morning.  As oestrogen levels drop, the body may become dry: inside and out; nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, eyes, vagina as well as the muscle may become lax = aches and pains.

HRT protects heart and bones.  Who is over seeing your weight loss.  My MinL measured her daily allowance of butter etc onto a saucer, once it was gone that was it for that day.  I think she joined Weight Watchers  :-\

Do U amble with the dogs or is it as brisk as you can manage?  How R your shoes, which can aid or hinder our gait. 

U can buy Gina over the counter, let us know how you get on with that.  We have a thread on 'bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy is discussed regularly  ::)

There is no 'only' or 'just'.  MayB ask your surgery for a referral to a dedicated NHS Menopause Clinic? 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:46:49 AM »

Hrt may or may not help as it depends on the cause but imo worth a try. I had pain in both hips which I assumed was the joints wearing out but when I went on hrt the pain went away. As you already know being overweight is the worst thing for joints particularly long term so definitely worth keeping up the diet. What happens when you swim? Are you able to exercise that way without the pain?

Bluenose

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 07:10:16 PM »

Hrt may or may not help as it depends on the cause but imo worth a try. I had pain in both hips which I assumed was the joints wearing out but when I went on hrt the pain went away. As you already know being overweight is the worst thing for joints particularly long term so definitely worth keeping up the diet. What happens when you swim? Are you able to exercise that way without the pain?
Hi and thank you for your reply, I go to a slimming club and have lost a stone since Christmas so it's slow, it's not a slow walk but not brisk either when I'm with my friend as we are both suffering the same, I also have archilles heel so feet are painful but that's a separate thing, I've been using Gina for 3 months and it has helped until the last couple of days and the itch has come back so hopefully that will be short term, I've made an appointment with the doctor to discuss HRT but that's not until the 13th April, I'm guessing they won't be very helpful as I've had no luck as to yet with anyone knowing what they are talking about 🙄 I'm unsure when I need to stop using Gina in preparation of starting the HRT if they do indeed prescribe it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 07:22:01 PM »

U don't need to stop Gina/VA medications: if you have itchiness then use more often.  Or buy a moisturiser i.e. Sylc or Yes products are often recommended.  I find KY jelly enough to keep the area moist ....... some ladies use 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' on the outer labia - on prescription.

Other forms of HRT can be used along with VA treatments.  It is essential to use this as often as required or the condition will return, due to a drop in oestrogen levels = possible dryness inside and out  ::)

In the meantime keeping a mood/food/symptom diary might be useful, something to discuss with the GP or Nurse Practitioner. if U don't feel supported there the ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS menopause clinic.  It can be a while finding something that suits so don't give up!

Bluenose

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »

U don't need to stop Gina/VA medications: if you have itchiness then use more often.  Or buy a moisturiser i.e. Sylc or Yes products are often recommended.  I find KY jelly enough to keep the area moist ....... some ladies use 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' on the outer labia - on
prescription.

Other forms of HRT can be used along with VA treatments.  It is essential to use this as often as required or the condition will return, due to a drop in oestrogen levels = possible dryness inside and out  ::)

In the meantime keeping a mood/food/symptom diary might be useful, something to discuss with the GP or Nurse Practitioner. if U don't feel supported there the ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS menopause clinic.  It can be a while finding something that suits so don't give up!
I use Gina twice a week as the box says to use it and I have sylk prescribed for me, we haven't got a menopause clinic anywhere near me unfortunately and the doctors seem so disinterested, I've got a 5 week old Grandson who I will be looking after twice a week come September and I really want to feel better for him, it's mainly the aches and joint stiffness that I am struggling with, I go to the gym and have help with weight strengthening exercises as my Son is  a PT, but it's so hard, the flushes are so much better than they were so it's just this and my brain that I still have issues with, thank you for your reply ☺️

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 09:07:38 AM »

Other VA treatments can be used every night when necessary.  Sylc etc. can be bought privately but getting it on prescription sounds good to me !

Oh a baby ........ we haven't had one on the Forum for ages  8)

flossie fiddler

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 01:39:29 PM »

Going back on HRT certainly helped my poor joints. I felt like an old lady. I very rarely get joint pain nowadays.

HellsBells

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 05:13:40 PM »

Flossie F - would you mind sharing dose/products? Glad to hear your joints are better - mine are awful at the moment.

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 06:21:53 PM »

Cannot believe the gp virtually ignoring joint pain as you are only 55!
Not saying this may be your problem but I am on hrt, and age 56 and x-ray has shown I have arthritis in both hips. Am awaiting physio So I can learn exercises to help.
So using your age to almost dismiss your pain does not seem right.

Well done on the weight loss, that can always help joints.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 07:32:30 AM »

I had joint issues when I went on HRT aged 48. They disappeared. Had 2.5 year break after 6 years and they came back. Went on HRT again aged 57 after experiencing lots of symptoms, including joint pain. It went away again.

It works for me, but know it doesn’t for everyone.