Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is Mirena my only option?  (Read 1044 times)

Claire MM

Re: Is Mirena my only option?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »

Just from the point of view of the breast cancer risk the risk is associated with synthetic progestogens not progesterone (as I understand it), utrogestan is progesterone and not associated with an elevated risk of breast cancer as far as the information I have states. If anything the progestogen in a Mirena is more of a risk, they consider it not to be so because it is in the womb and they consider the amount that is absorbed systemically to be minimal. I would dearly like to know the level of systemic absorption because if it is low compared to the pill for example that is a high comparison for me as I could not tolerate the pill. My mum had breast cancer and I'm also being pushed heavily towards a Mirena, and also can't make up my mind people seem to either get on really well with it or not at all and it's just hard to guess which camp you belong to. I can see the logic in them saying the Mirena has been demonstrated to keep the lining of the womb thin and reducing the risk of thickening of the lining of the womb and therefore the risk of uterine cancer etc. There are certainly other options to the Mirena but it's whether you feel you've exhausted those or not, good luck with every thing x
Pages: 1 [2]