Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Gina (Vagifem) & sex  (Read 1371 times)

Lulu_A

• First Flush
Gina (Vagifem) & sex
« on: March 18, 2023, 01:53:31 PM »

Hi all,

I've been on Evorel 75 for a couple of weeks (having upgraded from Evorel 50 and Estrodial gel since October last year) and am generally feeling well. I've had bladder infections and discomfort issues all my adult life but have found the constant tenderness and urge to go v v tiresome the past few years, especially at night when lying down causes discomfort and fullness that doesn't register during the day. Only recently have I realised this is meno linked.

I've just bought myself some Gina vaginal tablets (like Vagifem) in the hope of curing this constant bladder sensitivity.  Worth noting I've had no vaginal discomfort or dryness to date...all issues relate to my urethra and bladder.

So my qus are...how long till I can expect improvement?  And...the leaflet mentions NOTHING about sex. How soon after tablet insertion can you do it? Does it affect absorption for me or my husband??  Will he notice anything odd?? I think we're all open enough here to discuss this stuff... I can find nothing on the Internet

Thanks!

Lulu

Flossieteacake

Re: Gina (Vagifem) & sex
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 02:02:57 PM »

Hello Lulu. I would wait until your symptoms improve before attempting sex. It can take a few weeks until there are signs of improvement but it is different for everybody. You may find it helpful to buy some vaginal moisturiser such as Yes or Sylk too. I apply some to the applicator when inserting to help it glide more easily.

The constant need to urinate and feeling you have a UTI are classic VA symptoms so it is great you have started using Gina.

I personally would wait until signs of improvement then when you feel able to have sex without pain I would have sex before using Gina. I am sure others will have their own ideas too.

Lulu_A

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »

Hi FTC!

Thank you for the info! Weirdly I do not have vaginal pain or dryness. I've noticed no difference in that regard over the past few years. In fact I married my partner of 24 years in December and things havent been better in that respect. I guess I've been lucky so far...

However the bladder and urethral tenderness have been exasperating and keep me awake at night. Seems odd I'm experiencing that without the other problems.  I ain't complaining though.

Weirdly when I had this exact same bladder tilt issue back in 2018 (it's worse lying down) a male Dr prescribed estrogen cream. I hated using it and it stung, so I was relieved when a female Dr some weeks later said she didn't know why he'd ever suggested it and stopped me using it. I was 43 then so well within the peri age bracket, but with no other symptoms. GPs seem very uneducated about it all. He was clearly barking up the right tree all that time ago but I was fobbed off again in 2020 over my clearly meno blood test, and wasn't prescribed hrt until late last year.

I'm so glad there are forums like this and that people are more open about discussing it. God knows how women got through in the olden days.

Thanks again, L x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 05:54:31 PM »

Hi FTC!

Thank you for the info! Weirdly I do not have vaginal pain or dryness. I've noticed no difference in that regard over the past few years. In fact I married my partner of 24 years in December and things havent been better in that respect. I guess I've been lucky so far...

However the bladder and urethral tenderness have been exasperating and keep me awake at night. Seems odd I'm experiencing that without the other problems.  I ain't complaining though.

Weirdly when I had this exact same bladder tilt issue back in 2018 (it's worse lying down) a male Dr prescribed estrogen cream. I hated using it and it stung, so I was relieved when a female Dr some weeks later said she didn't know why he'd ever suggested it and stopped me using it. I was 43 then so well within the peri age bracket, but with no other symptoms. GPs seem very uneducated about it all. He was clearly barking up the right tree all that time ago but I was fobbed off again in 2020 over my clearly meno blood test, and wasn't prescribed hrt until late last year.

I'm so glad there are forums like this and that people are more open about discussing it. God knows how women got through in the olden days.

Thanks again, L x

It is really uncomfortable to have bladder pain and waking to go to the loo a lot is very tiring too. You could always get a pelvic floor examination too just to see how things are. I know tight muscles there can cause discomfort.

Sadly GPs are very uneducated in VA. It is lovely to hear how happy you are with your partner. :)

Lulu_A

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 06:34:30 PM »

Ah, now you make an interesting point. Most links with bladder issues and pelvic floor focus on it not being strong enough, whereas I've been told mine is strong. Maybe too strong?? How does one test for this??

Thank you!

X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 06:37:06 PM »

Ah, now you make an interesting point. Most links with bladder issues and pelvic floor focus on it not being strong enough, whereas I've been told mine is strong. Maybe too strong?? How does one test for this??

Thank you!

X

I think you would need to have an examination to see how your pelvic floor is. I am sure your GP could arrange it. You may also like to do a search on here and seeing which threads come up about it.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 08:10:52 PM »

Thank you!

X
A pelvic health physiotherapist would diagnose this. A hypertonic pelvic floor is far more common than you might think. It's best to go private unless you want to wait forever on the NHS.
JP x