Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Conflicting information about how long you can stay on HRT  (Read 576 times)

Helensef

• First Flush
Conflicting information about how long you can stay on HRT
« on: March 20, 2023, 01:24:53 PM »

Hi,
I am 61 and have been on everol 25 for over 7 years with no problems it actually solved most of my symptoms.
Until last week at my annual review I was told I should perhaps start cutting it down with a view to stopping it as probably all my symptoms will have gone by now.
Previous to this on last year's review I was told I could take it as long as I like. I've not got high blood pressure or anything else wrong, I don't take other medications.
I'm going to try cutting patch in half but I'm not impressed with this idea especially as I've been given totally different advice less than 12 months ago .NICE guidelines say I can continue to use it especially as I don't have any issues with blood pressure etc.
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar advice.

Flossieteacake

Re: Conflicting information about how long you can stay on HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 01:44:30 PM »

Hello Helen and welcome to the forum. HRT can be taken for life. You seem to be doing really well on it so I would not stop taking it or your symptoms will return.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 02:27:18 PM »

The NICE guidelines used to say you stop at 60 but now there is no age limit. Not all doctors are aware of the change.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 05:09:38 PM »

Hello Helensef and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you could negotiate a compromise whereby if your symptoms return  and they are too difficult to deal with you could go back onto HRT as per the NICE  guidelines.

I have recently been reducing my Sandrena gel and half a 1mg sachet sorts most of my symptoms however less than that and the VA begins and flushing and night sweats are more noticeable.

As the other ladies have said you don't need to give up your HRT if you don't want to.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »

Nope.  If your regime works, stick with it.  GPs wouldn't ask diabetics or heart patients to stop their medication!

Quality of Life is important.  If it an't broke, don't fix it ;-)