Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: High SHBG anyone?  (Read 708 times)

floraljo

High SHBG anyone?
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:06:58 AM »

Hi,
I'm 41, on hrt. My SHBG blood tests have been high before and since taking HRT. GP does not know why (thyroid and liver are fine). Has anyone else had high results for this?
Thanks

Ayesha

Re: High SHBG anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »

What is SHBG?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 10:56:11 AM »

Hi. Did you have a specific reason for having your SHBG tested? I've never had this offered so I'm just curious.

It seems that a high level is usual in women on HRT as oestrogen increases it but as yours was high before starting it then I guess you do have to find another reason.

Tazx

floraljo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »

It was just included in my medichecks package

ccariad

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 01:59:34 PM »

Hi SHBG - sex hormone binding globulin is increased with high intensity exercise, hyperthyroidism, type 1 diabetes and low body weight/bmi. It binds to circulating hormones so if its high you have less available oestrogen and testosterone at the cellular level - ie where we need it to do the job of reducing negative symptoms of low oestrogen/testosterone.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »

Hi SHBG - sex hormone binding globulin is increased with high intensity exercise, hyperthyroidism, type 1 diabetes and low body weight/bmi. It binds to circulating hormones so if its high you have less available oestrogen and testosterone at the cellular level - ie where we need it to do the job of reducing negative symptoms of low oestrogen/testosterone.

Many thanks for the very comprehensive explanation, I had never heard of this before.  The body such a complex machine!

laszla

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 05:48:47 PM »

Yes I have very high SHBG and it is the bane of my existence as I don't absorb oestrogen or testosterone and this might be the cause. I have low BMI which might account for it. Oral oestrogen is thought to increase it but not transdermal.

floraljo

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 06:19:08 PM »

My bmi is normal albeit at the very low end. I didn't realise it might affect absorption of hormones.

Tracylou

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 09:17:35 AM »

Yes, mine is very high. It was tested as part of my blood test to check my testosterone levels. I asked my gp why it was so high but she didn't know! It's come down very slightly since starting Tostran but still much higher than anyone else I've come across.

floraljo

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »

Laszla - I'm in the same situation as you with high SHBG. May I ask how do you know if it is affecting your oestrogen absorption? Thanks