Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Continuous Utrogestan - just started new routine  (Read 967 times)

Julia33

• First Flush
Continuous Utrogestan - just started new routine
« on: March 17, 2023, 06:03:46 PM »

Hi all,
I've been on HRT for 2.5 years. I'm 48 and I've been on sequential (gel, 3 pumps and Utro for 12 days). I exercise in the gym around 4 days a week and have always been fit and healthy. I started to notice thickening/bloating around my middle and hips just before starting the Utro stage. My boobs have also got bigger but not sore. I wondered if there was not enough progesterone in my body (which can cause weight gain). I also started having aching fingers again and getting irritated. I therefore started the continuous routine (just finished period and have just started this new routine). What are the advantages of continuous? I'm hoping that it will calm my thickening middle and bloating. Saying that, my waist feels thicker again today, after a few days of new routine. Perhaps I need a full month or so on it for it to settle? I feel absolutely fine otherwise  :)   

Thanks for any comments x

Perinowpost

Re: Continuous Utrogestan - just started new routine
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 06:15:03 PM »

Hi Julia43

Progesterone always makes me put weight on (I think it’s water weight). Hopefully you will be different.

The advantages of a continuous regime are no withdrawal bleed. Hopefully you will be able to tolerate this and if you do you are one of the lucky ones. Let us know how you get on x

Julia33

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 06:26:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply; much appreciated! It's odd because when I was on sequential, I felt less bloated on the 12 days of progesterone. I thought that it would make sense to change to continuous....I've only just changed to this routine (days ago) so need to give it a chance. Will change back to sequential if needed!

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 06:19:50 PM »

Hi Julia33,

I have tried twice now in past 6 months to change from sequi regime of Oestrogel and Utrogestan to continuous on advice of GP. This was due to my age (54) and having been peri-menopausal when I started HRT 20 months ago - they "assume" I would have stopped my periods by now and should be on continuous.

Both times after a couple of weeks I found the increasing water retention particularly in my boobs (and other parts of my body) totally unbearable so I stopped after 3 weeks and reverted back to sequi. My boobs were really tender and painful and my back and legs were aching too. I don't think my body is ready for conti as I believe I am still having light break through bleeds on sequi rather than withdrawal bleeds.

I think you will "know" if the balance is right or not. Although I do have some digestive issues whilst on the sequi utrogestan phase, for me it is more bearable than the swelling and pain on continuous.

Good luck

Julia33

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:12:41 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply. I will keep going with it for the month and see how I get on...I would absolutely hate to pile the weight on or be bloated. Sequential doesn't really bother me that much - I don't mind having the bleeds. Much prefer the bleed to feeling like I'm a balloon! I thought progesterone was a diuretic? How do I transfer back if it doesn't suit me?

Julia

DottyD68

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 05:02:21 PM »

I don't mind the bleeds either, in fact it feels like a relief when they occur, which gives me more reason to believe that I'm not ready for conti yet.

When I have moved back to sequi I have stopped the daily 100mg utrogestan for 14 days. I then take 200mg utrogestan for next 14 days followed by the 14 day break and so on.

The only thing I have noticed happening is that by the  middle of the 2nd week off utrogestan my mood seems to dip a bit. Its just such a delicate balance to find between these supplementary  hormones on top of our own hormones which keep changing.