Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: GP won’t allow 25/28 utrogestan  (Read 668 times)

Peri2022

GP won’t allow 25/28 utrogestan
« on: March 16, 2023, 11:47:39 AM »

Hello everyone. I posted a while ago about wanting to try taking utrogestan 100mg vaginally on 25 days out of 28, along with my usual 37.5mcg Estradot twice a week. For background, I’m 45 and suffering from horrendous heavy and painful periods which actually got worse on the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off utrogestan regime. I can’t have a Mirena - long story.

Anyway I asked my GP if I could try the 25 day utrogestan regime as others in my situation have found it helpful. She emailed the local menopause clinic whose response was, No, she’s too young for that regime, she should just get a Mirena.

Basically I’m raging. How is daily vaginal utro any different to the localised prog you’d get from Mirena? I feel like I’ve been sentenced to maybe another 10 years of debilitating periods for no reason. I can’t even work on days 1-4 of my cycle, it’s so bad.

Just looking for any other suggestions or advice. Thank you so much.

Wrensong

Re: GP won’t allow 25/28 utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 11:59:28 AM »

What a difficult situation for you, I'm so sorry.  Could you perhaps email Dr Currie for expert advice on what your options are at this stage?  There is a small fee - I think £30 - but her knowledge & experience can be invaluable.
Wx

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 12:10:46 PM »

Peri2022, you don't have to agree to it and go along with what this doctor says, it's not gospel.  You could consult a number of different doctors on any given subject and you would get different opinions and recommendations from each doctor.

Why don't you just go ahead and try the Utrogestan anyway? 

Peri2022

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »

Thanks Wrensong and Mary G. I didn’t mention to the doc that I’ve already started a cycle of continuous utrogestan…was hoping she’d say that regime was fine and I could just continue! I felt like I had made quite an informed choice so was disappointed when she disagreed.

I started my HRT journey at the Newson Clinic many moons ago so I might ask for a follow up appointment/second opinion from them. I would like to feel some control over my health especially when my symptoms are so debilitating. I guess it’s what we’re all aiming for!

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 07:02:05 PM »

Good idea Peri2022.  I'm a past Newson patient & found them very helpful.  As my situation was unusual & quite complex, I asked to see someone who was willing to think outside the box.  The doctor I saw was a good listener, gave me a long consultation & wrote a very comprehensive & supportive letter to my GP.  I hope you manage to make progress there.
Wx

Peri2022

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 07:45:14 PM »

Pleased to update that my GP reviewed my case with a consultant who said that I can certainly try the continuous regime, although it may give me an irregular bleeding pattern that’s ‘even worse’ than what I have now. Tbh my bleeding really can’t get much worse than it already is so I’ll try anything at this point. Very grateful that my GP pursued this for me and got back to me so quickly…saved me £££ on another Newson appointment!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 08:47:29 PM »

Let us know how you get on.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 09:08:34 PM »

That's good, I hope it works out for you but you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »

That's great Peri2022.  Hope it works out for you.
Wx