Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can I request a hormone level check from GP?  (Read 1261 times)

Buttercup15

Can I request a hormone level check from GP?
« on: March 16, 2023, 05:33:48 PM »

Hi all,

I hope some of you can share some guidance and experience.
Here is the background. 50, last period 2 years ago. Decided to go on HRT 6 months ago. I had some symptoms during the peri phase (hot flashes, night sweats) that went away when my cycle stopped. But in 2022 (about a year after last period) I started to suffer from severe fatigue, low energy, low motivation, finding it soooo tough to exercise (which is something I have always been into). And total lack of libido. So I decided to give HRT a go.

GP prescribed Evorel Conti 50. After six months of it, I am still getting a bleed every 4 weeks. Like an actual period, with cramps, hugely bloated the day before the bleeding starts, low back pain etc. In addition, after an initial improvement in energy and motivation, I seem to have plateaued and have some OK days and some really low days when I just want to sleep.

So back to the GP. I had a chat over the phone and he suggested switching to FemSeven (different progesterone). Due to the bleeding, I still have to make a physical appointment and expect to be referred for a scan or something (although I am sure it is the HRT and nothing sinister).

I would really like my oestrogen levels to be tested but every time I have suggested this, I have faced opposition. I haven't told the GP yet but on the side, I had my testosterone level checked privately and it is rock bottom. So I think I may benefit from additional testo, but only if oestro is balanced.

Sorry for the long post but:
How do I convince them to test my hormone levels?
Is there any benefit in switching patches and possibly having to wait yet another 6 months for another review?
Has anyone / should I go private with a menopause plan so I get proper answers? Money is tight but I will spend it if I can truly benefit.

Meno is sucking the life out of us and it is no fun.

Dotty

Re: Can I request a hormone level check from GP?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 06:26:25 PM »

Hi if you’ve still got symptoms then you’d be better moving to an oestrogen only patch with a separate progesterone. This will mean that you can increase the oestrogen to a 75 or a 100 patch.

The Femseven has a different progesterone but the same amount of oestrogen. x

Mollymoo

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 09:10:22 PM »

Hi Buttercup
I am reading your post and thinking wow this is me!
I am also on evorel conti and like you I keep getting a monthly bleed. I always know when it's coming because I get lower back pain, I can feel the sensation in my ovaries like when i used to have periods and my mood hits rock bottom. It's not heavy, more like the end of a period but can last a week.
I had a blood test done and my estrogen levels were within normal range.
I went to my GP and she has put me on antidepressants and to be honest it has really pissed me off because I know my body and I know I am not depressed. She is trying to tell me its not my hormones, the blood test has proven that and hormones always get the blame.
The antidepressants have helped my mood, of course they will but I am bleeding now as we speak so I know my hormones are not right. I have been post menopausal for years
I wish I knew the answers as to why but I don't. Its driving me insane xx

Buttercup15

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 09:29:33 PM »

Hi Mollymoo,

Oh no sounds like a real struggle with your GP! Could it be the progesterone? When you say your oestrogen was normal, I assume you mean normal for a woman who has oestrogen, not normal for a post meno woman ie close to zero.

Yes I totally get those pains too! And on one side near the ovaries, how odd! My bleed is more lile a full on period.

How did you get your levels tested? GP offered?

Buttercup15

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 09:33:04 PM »

Hi if you’ve still got symptoms then you’d be better moving to an oestrogen only patch with a separate progesterone. This will mean that you can increase the oestrogen to a 75 or a 100 patch.

The Femseven has a different progesterone but the same amount of oestrogen. x

Thanks Dotty. I suggested splitting the oestro and progesterone but GP seemed to say trying the other patch was the first course of action. We don’t even know if my oestro levels are right, which is why I’d like a test. If so then we can rule that out and I can look into adding a bit of testo maybe.

Mollymoo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:06 PM »

Hi Mollymoo,

Oh no sounds like a real struggle with your GP! Could it be the progesterone? When you say your oestrogen was normal, I assume you mean normal for a woman who has oestrogen, not normal for a post meno woman ie close to zero.

Yes I totally get those pains too! And on one side near the ovaries, how odd! My bleed is more lile a full on period.

How did you get your levels tested? GP offered?

My level was 248, that's being on evorel cinti patches so ime guessing she means normal post meno with the patch on.
I had my blood test done at work, I work in the hospital which was an advantage as I dint think my gp would have done one.

Buttercup15

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 05:21:32 PM »

Mollymoo,
Ah that’s good uou could have it done at work! Perk of the job.
The GP gave in. He was adamant I didn’t need my levels tested, trying to tell me it would only come back showing normal levels for my age (erm, not necessarily). Until he relented and said “fine!” Probably to get rid of me.
It won’t solve everything but it may shed some light.
And as I thought, also referred for a scan.

Mollymoo

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 09:30:04 PM »

Mollymoo,
Ah that’s good uou could have it done at work! Perk of the job.
The GP gave in. He was adamant I didn’t need my levels tested, trying to tell me it would only come back showing normal levels for my age (erm, not necessarily). Until he relented and said “fine!” Probably to get rid of me.
It won’t solve everything but it may shed some light.
And as I thought, also referred for a scan.
Let me know how you get on xx