Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quitting or reducing alcohol  (Read 3818 times)

Taz2

Re: Quitting or reducing alcohol
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 11:37:10 AM »

I'm the same as Deidre in that i have 1 or 2 small glasses of wine with dinner. I never go over the NHS allowance each week and to be honest, i enjoy them and haven't found any detrimental effects to my health / menopause.

Is small a 1.25ml? It gets so confusing with the difference in volumes and strengths. The other thing is having three days alcohol free and not next to each other! I too like a glass with dinner if it's not a pub visiting day. My small glass is 175ml though and the wine is 13%.

Taz  :-\

HelloSam666

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 11:49:15 AM »

Hi Taz,

yes, it is 125ml for a small glass and that's the measurement i use. I have white wine and it's usually a similar percentage strength.

Elliebee

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:51 PM »

Taz2 I didn’t know the alcohol free days were not supposed to be consecutive? Is that more new advice.
I recall in the early 90s when it was common for pubs to routinely sell 250ml glasses of wine!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 12:33:37 PM »

Schooner of sherry any1  :-\  ::) ......... or Tia Maria
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:52:57 PM by CLKD »

HelloSam666

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »

When i first went out for a drink at 18, i was ordering a Babycham - thought i was the height of sophistication  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 12:52:31 PM »

:rofl:  I was 16  :o and we walked into a Pub, sitting at the bar was a member of the school staff  :-X.  He didn't tell.  Babycham however makes me really nauseous in the early hours .......... so I gave up after the 2nd bad night.

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »

Hellosam, I was a cider & babycham gal  ;D blimey,that's a blast from the past  ;D
It is all so confusing re the units etc Taz,I only drink on a Friday & Saturday and there's no measuring apart from making sure my OH doesn't get a millilitre more than me  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2023, 03:03:59 PM »

:lol:

HelloSam666

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 03:04:23 PM »

Oh my goodness Jaypo - I moved up to half a sweet cider after Babycham, trying to be a touch more cool lol. Bringing back lots of memories now, it's making me laugh.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 03:48:10 PM »

Hellosam, I was a cider & babycham gal  ;D blimey,that's a blast from the past  ;D
It is all so confusing re the units etc Taz,I only drink on a Friday & Saturday and there's no measuring apart from making sure my OH doesn't get a millilitre more than me  ;D

;D ;D  It is confusing! A 1.25ml glass of wine is 1.5 units - depending on how strong the wine is. I think they take 12% as normal.  I think that pubs should make it clear that you can order a 1.25ml as by law they have to provide it but it is usually way down in the small print on the drinks menu that it is available. Mind you that's only a few mouthfuls! https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/facts/alcoholic-drinks-and-units/what-is-an-alcohol-unit  I haven't dare add mine up yet.  ;D

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 04:00:53 PM »

A few mouthfuls Taz? Don't you mean one?  ;D I so I'm guessing a half bottle is equal to 187.5 mls glass if it's a 750 ml bottle? I've confused myself now  ;D
 Oh I was way cooler than you hellosam, I had them both in the same glass  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 04:22:31 PM »

Half a bottle is 350ml and half a bottle of 13.5% wine is around five units.  The advice is so strange as it says not to drink all of your units together but to spread them out over the week but also to have alcohol free days. Our poor livers!

Taz x

getting_old

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2023, 06:17:26 PM »

I remember my grandmother force feeding my father stout because it was "good for you", and of course there are a number of reports that a glass of red wine every day can help because of some special substance it contains, but that goes against spreading out the units.
Personally I've found that I get more hot flushes if I drink wine so I tend to avoid it. I would be interested to know if organic wines would be better, but I've never been much of a drinker so haven't tried testing the theory.

Stella2

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2023, 06:43:27 PM »

I used to love wine but due to anxiety in menopause i stopped alltogether. Now, when I try to have a drink I realise that it makes me sleepy and grumpy and that I don't like the taste of it. How strange...
Pages: 1 [2]