Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan orally or internally  (Read 1357 times)

Babs

Utrogestan orally or internally
« on: March 09, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »

Iv been taking 200mg utrogestan orally everyday for the past 8 weeks .. I’m post menopause and new to hrt.
Taking 2 x Oestrogel with the utrogestan. Iv been feeling very unwell with anxiety, fatigue, dryness, symptoms actually feeling worse.
Iv now been told that I should be taking 100mg continuously. Does anyone know if I can take this 100mg everyday internally ?
Thank you 😊

Dotty

Re: Utrogestan orally or internally
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »

You can use it orally or vaginally ( this is off licence ). x

Babs

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 09:54:55 AM »

Thank you Dotty
Do you know  if I could use to femoston internally as well for an atrophy …
Being that I have to use the utrogestan everyday ..?

Berto77

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 07:18:31 PM »

I use mine internally although I still cycle, I think it works fine like this although I use 200mg a night for 12 nights then stop and my period starts. Using this method has completely fixed my irregular bleeding I had for years before which nothing else seemed to help. Some people say you should get a uterine scan every few years taking utrogesten internally just to check the uterus as its an off license method so that is something to bear in mind.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »

Do you know  if I could use to femoston internally as well for an atrophy …
Being that I have to use the utrogestan everyday ..?

I don't understand the question. Femoston is an oral HRT so would not be used internally if by that you mean vaginally?

If you also have vaginal atrophy then your doc should be able to prescribe vagifem or estriol cream or one of the newer preparations which you can take alongside HRT. However some of the newer ones  - requiring daily insertion of a capsule might be tricky to use alongsdie vaginal oestrogen. Not sure how they would react inside the vag ?

Vagifem might be the best option as it is usually only inserted twice weekly after initial reload and is a tiny tablet which sticks to the vaginal wall. The weaker estriol cream can also be used externally if there is irritation (I have vagifem, estriol cream and use vaginal utrogestan, though the latter cyclically and not daily).

Also if you are suffering anxiety and fatigue this could be due to that high dose of utrogestan daily and you may feel better on the reduced dose. If not then it can be taken cyclically as Berto says - you may notice the lack of fatigue on the oestrogen only parts of the cycle. I am really groggy when I am on the utro phase!

Hurdity x

Babs

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 09:54:25 PM »

It’s vagifem .. 🙈 yes can I use this with utrogestan both internally?
I have to take 100ng utrogestan everyday as I’m post menopausal.. but need the vagifem for atrophy

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 10:00:20 PM »

Hi Babs. I don't know about using Utrogestan and Vagifem together, but how about using Vagifem in the morning instead, after any residue from the Utrogestan has descended? Just a thought, I'm sure someone here will have the "real" answer.
JP x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »

Hi there

There is no real answer because I don't think this has been researched - I think women's HRT practice and the speed with which current use has increased, has meant that things are being tried out without trials to look into them!

As Joaniepat says - I use utrogestan vaginally at night and when on the Utro phase I use the vagifem in the morning - in fact I always use vagifem in the morning because that's when I change my patch every 3 days so do them both together! When on the bleed part I use estriol cream copiously on the tampon instead of vagifem - which helps with dryness....

Hurdity x

Babs

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »

Thank you all for your advise I guess I ll have to check with consultant..
it’s an idea tho as I your utrogestan in the evening, so could possibly use vagifem in the mornings..
I have to use utrogestan everyday continuously as I’m post menopausal.

Claire MM

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 11:50:35 PM »

I would definately continue to use internal estrogen if doing continuous utrogestan, I have made the mistake of not doing that and it has resulted in worse VA and uti's - lessons have been learnt. It's so important to have that topical estrogen - even more so with internal progesterone I believe. I think you will feel a lot better reducing the dose and using utrogestan internally - a lot better! X