Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bowel screening call back  (Read 4537 times)

skkb

Bowel screening call back
« on: March 12, 2023, 12:32:20 PM »

There seems to be always something, just when you’re hoping all is ok. I did the bowel screening test (FIT) and have been called back for further investigation!!! Anyone else had this scare?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bowel screening call back
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 12:33:15 PM »

Not yet.  You could ring the Dept and ask what the reason might be, have you been given a date? 

skkb

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 01:37:49 PM »

Yes 22nd March for an initial consultation, assume a colonoscopy would follow. The 22nd is only 10 days before we go away for 16 days !!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 02:24:59 PM »

That's OK.  My surgeon always told patients to go away unless it was very very urgent.  No good pining for a holiday if it's not necessary to cancel.  Once you've had a chat any interventions can be put off. 

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 03:48:19 PM »

Didn't you have a colonoscopy just recently?

skkb

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »

It was a sygmoidoscopy last November which showed some diverticulosis, not diverticulitis and I was discharged. I’m so worn down with what feels like endless health related worrying

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 07:16:23 PM »

What a shame it wasn't a colonoscopy you had previously because it means you will have to go through all that crap again (excuse pun) of having to drink the  disgusting prep and all the worry that goes with it.

I would be so pissed off by it all but that's preventative medicine for you, one thing after another!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 08:08:38 PM »

U can discuss first B4 agreeing to any intervention. 

skkb

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 08:15:57 PM »

I’ll see what is said at the consultation and take it from there. Waiting is the worst bit…..and yes the bowel prep drink. It was painful last time as I had no sedation so if it goes ahead again I’ll ask for a sedative or cyanide 🤦‍♀️

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 08:59:27 PM »

skkb, I understand how worried you are but as you have only just had a sigmoidoscopy it's unlikely to be anything serious and could have been a slight bleed from the diverticulosis.

I would go and buy a FIT self testing kit in Superdrug and do another test at home myself and see how that comes out.   It's exactly the same procedure as used in a lab and they are quality kits made in Germany I think.

skkb

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 09:09:38 PM »

Thankyou MaryG, I didn’t know about such kits but will take a look. I really don’t think I could cope with the bowel prep again, let alone a colonoscopy unless they completely knocked me out.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 09:27:20 PM »

:hug:

skkb

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »

Yes the FIT test kits are at Superdrug and also the same kit on Amazon……I suppose my worry is if I do one at home and it’s positive it’s only going to compound my fear for the next 10 days!! Oh gosh

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 08:34:47 AM »

There is no point in you buying a FIT test, it's already been done for you so don't even go there!
I am angry for you that you have to go through this again when you should have had a colonoscopy in November.
Try not to worry, I was called back because they found blood in my FIT test, they found nothing. But it doesn't stop you having terrible anxiety about it all!!

skkb

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »

Thanks Ayesha, I’ve just called to confirm the appointment as requested, but as always, ansaphone….busy leave a message. I will keep trying though!! Yes I’m also angry that a colonoscopy could have been carried out last November but I guess if I still had a positive result this time then they would still follow it up? Due to go away on 2 April!! I’m not sure what the consultation on the 22nd March is for apart from to take blood to see if I am anaemic and give me the awful prep drink. Now I’m wondering with this 3 days doctors strike it could push everything further down the line anyway. Did you have to wait long for your procedure and results?
Pages: [1] 2 3