Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Do you feel nausea during a hot flush?  (Read 957 times)

Sencho1999

• Tried HRT. Didn't work.
Do you feel nausea during a hot flush?
« on: September 24, 2023, 06:23:42 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently trapped in a horrific cycle of extreme nausea due to fluctuating hormones.

The other evening, I had a sudden sense of impending doom, an extra strong wave of nausea, followed by heart palpitations, shaking legs and a very brief but sudden feeling of my head being boiling hot. After this I was trembling and weak for about an hour.

I thought this was a panic attack - but now I'm wondering if it was my first hot flush?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has these symptoms during, before a hot flush?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Do you feel nausea during a hot flush?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 06:54:38 PM »

It may well be a hot flush or a drop in blood sugar.   How is your diet overall?  It may be wise to eat little and often even in the night. 

I had those sudden drops + nausea ......... when shopping I knew where every waste bin was situated  :-\ and once felt so ill that I went into the Pharmacy to ask to use their loo.  The girl began to say 'There's a public loo ...... ' then saw my face.  I wasn't ill but felt quite 'off' - I never suffered with flushes until periods had stopped completely, then I would get 10 mins of 'cold flushing' across the back of my neck and shoulders.

What R your periods doing?

Sencho1999

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 12:19:51 PM »

Hi CLKD,

My food intake and blood sugar is great. I make sure to eat every three hours. It's definitely not blood sugar related.

Still queasy today - hoping to stop my cycle by trying the mirena coil soon.

The rollercoaster of peri.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 12:21:02 PM »

It certainly can b! Let us know how you get on.

Sencho1999

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 12:22:35 PM »

My periods had got close together and were every 21 days (after being 30 day cycle for decades). Then I started HRT January 2022 (estrogen gel + utrogesta) but my estrogen levels rocketed and I got a huge polyp.

I've been taking the utrogestan for days 14-28 without estrogen, just to keep my cycle at 28 days until I decide what to do next.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 12:23:22 PM »

Who is overseeing your HRT prescription?  Do take a list to your next appt.

alibeau

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 01:41:20 PM »

Yes, I haven't had a hot flush for a few years now (on HRT) but I would have this horrible stomach churning feeling and then a full on hot flush... not pleasant at all...

I hope things improve for you soon xx

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 01:47:52 PM »

I get slight nausea with night sweats, but not usually with daytime flushing.  Palpitations are quite common in menopause & they can indeed accompany flushing.  Many of us on here have experienced them.  The sense of doom is another classic & horrible aspect that can come with vasomotor symptoms.  So all in all, it does sound like menopausal flushing to me. 

CLKD makes a good point about blood sugar instability.  This can start to go awry in perimenopause, with similar symptoms to those you've experienced if blood sugar falls too low.  So if it's something you've had little reason to look into before now, it's definitely worth reading up on how best to eat to maintain blood sugar stability.  There are many threads on here discussing it & if you'd like to do a search, you could try putting hypoglycemia into the search box.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:17:02 AM by Wrensong »

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 02:21:15 PM »

Before starting hrt, I would wake up in a panic, immediately followed by hot flush and nausea. I had a remedy from homeopath specifically for it which worked, as did getting up and eating something small. Thankfully this is one of the things estrogel has worked really well for.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 09:26:42 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently trapped in a horrific cycle of extreme nausea due to fluctuating hormones.

The other evening, I had a sudden sense of impending doom, an extra strong wave of nausea, followed by heart palpitations, shaking legs and a very brief but sudden feeling of my head being boiling hot. After this I was trembling and weak for about an hour.

I thought this was a panic attack - but now I'm wondering if it was my first hot flush?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has these symptoms during, before a hot flush?

Hi. I don't have that though I get a mild feeling of dread in my stomach just before however my sister suffered horrendously with hot flushes. She felt ill with each one and definitely that impending doom and stomach ache and got depressed. That's when she started HRT

Sencho1999

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 08:27:38 AM »

I saw a private gynaecologist yesterday for a mirena coil insertion as the NHS is now a 4 month waiting list for one.

He thought my nausea might be linked to benign intracranial hypertension and suggested I see a neurologist. I saw a neurologist several years ago now due to headaches. Had an MRI. All clear.

I still think the nausea is hormone peaks and drops though I will chase for a neurology appointment. Benign intracranial hypertension is also linked to fluctuating hormones, amongst other things.

He did say he could shut my ovaries down with an injection for one month to test if it's my ovaries causing all the nausea. But that's a last resort at the moment. I don't blame him for suggesting this as I did go in their wailing 'for crying out loud can you please take my womb and ovaries I've had enough."

Jules

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 03:21:35 PM »

I saw a private gynaecologist yesterday for a mirena coil insertion as the NHS is now a 4 month waiting list for one.

He thought my nausea might be linked to benign intracranial hypertension and suggested I see a neurologist. I saw a neurologist several years ago now due to headaches. Had an MRI. All clear.

I still think the nausea is hormone peaks and drops though I will chase for a neurology appointment. Benign intracranial hypertension is also linked to fluctuating hormones, amongst other things.

He did say he could shut my ovaries down with an injection for one month to test if it's my ovaries causing all the nausea. But that's a last resort at the moment. I don't blame him for suggesting this as I did go in their wailing 'for crying out loud can you please take my womb and ovaries I've had enough."

My sister reached a point where she wanted to throw herself down the stairs.  I know from her experience how bad symptoms associated with hot flushes can be answered she was having one every 15 minutes. I hope you find something that helps